FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in First Gear

My VIN:    2229

Stuck in First Gear

I was having an issue about a month ago where my car was starting off in 2nd gear. After reading some posts about it on here I removed the governor and sent it into dmc Houston to have it repaired. When I got it back I put it in the car and was very excited when the car accelerated in 1st for the first time while I’ve owned it, however I was quickly disappointed to find that I now only have first gear. I can’t get it to shift whether I put the car in drive or try to force it into 2nd. Any advice?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Advice, call DMCH first. They will likely walk you through the reinstallation procedures for verification that you did it properly. Including kick down cable rigging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Take a look at your wiring and make sure you dressed it away from the crossover pipe. Melted wiring will do this sort of thing.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It certainly could be melted wires but it can also be a shorted output transistor in the shift computer. Or a blob of solder between traces. Examine the wiring harness inch-by-inch visually and with your fingers for any damaged sections. If you don't find any damage you will have to call DMCH and have them help you with it. One quick test you can do yourself is to pull the fuse for the shift computer and see if you get 3rd gear. That will at least verify the shift computer is forcing 1st gear and there is nothing wrong with your transmission.
    David Teitelbaum

So I emailed DMCH and they told me to check to make sure the governor speed generator was meshing with the linkage shaft into the transmission. I pulled the shaft out and it is totally worn away on one side where it meshes with the gears in the trans (hopefully there will be an image below). So I will order a new one but my question now is if this is something I should be concerned about? Why would something like this happen and is there a residing issue that I should be more concerned about? Or should I just put the new shaft in and hope it works?64A6480A-1040-4FD2-829D-4E1A3EB01121.jpg

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Did it look like that when you put the governor in or did you not check it? Certainly try a new one and see what happens.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Wow, I just looked up that part. I was surprised it was available and even more so at the cheap price. $11.48 +s&h.

Hope that fixes it for you and that you don’t have some more serious issue going on internally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I did not check to see if it looked like that before. Seeing as the part is so cheap I’m just going to replace it and hope that I never have the issue again. If I do, well, we’ll see what happens.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliewoodo View Post
    I did not check to see if it looked like that before. Seeing as the part is so cheap I’m just going to replace it and hope that I never have the issue again. If I do, well, we’ll see what happens.
    You're bigger concern may be with the transaxle itself. That gear appears to have started to melt from heat buildup. This gear is usually tan not black! The only plausable source of that heat would be that the differential was run with little to no gear oil in it for some lenght of time. Do you hear any gear whine on the road? If so the internal parts of the diff may also be damaged. I would recommend changing the diff fluid and see what comes out. At least check the fluid level immediately if you haven't already done so. You might be in for an unpleasant surprise!
    Rob

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyliewoodo View Post
    So I emailed DMCH and they told me to check to make sure the governor speed generator was meshing with the linkage shaft into the transmission. I pulled the shaft out and it is totally worn away on one side where it meshes with the gears in the trans (hopefully there will be an image below). So I will order a new one but my question now is if this is something I should be concerned about? Why would something like this happen and is there a residing issue that I should be more concerned about? Or should I just put the new shaft in and hope it works?64A6480A-1040-4FD2-829D-4E1A3EB01121.jpg
    I replied to this thread yesterday and there has been no response from you. By the look of that pic I'm thinking you're driving around with little to no differential fluid! It's probably way too late to make much difference but you really should check to see if you have any. From your limited but recent posts I'm also guessing you are a new owner. This forum contains good advice but it's always good to get feedback instead of a cold thread. This situation does not look good. Anyone agree? In any case I wish you good luck. You will need it.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast