FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Bung on top of crossover pipe Y

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bung on top of crossover pipe Y

I’m replacing my left exhaust manifold gasket. Anybody know what this “bung with a bolt in it” is for?
    See photo.
    Also what is the bedt tool to loosen the upper left (driver side) of the 4 nuts attaching the crossover pipe to the exhaust manifold? It squarely blocked by the oxygen sensor! I’m thinking of using a 17mm crow foot because a 17mm socket won’t fit over the nut without removing the oxygen sensor - which I can’t remove.

What is the best tool to remove the oxygen sensor (if I have to remove it)? It points toward the side of the vehicle and a longer sensor socket won’t fit over the sensor. Is it 13/16” or 20mm or 21mm?
    Last edited by Ed81DMC; 06-04-2018 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Add photo of bung

Photo of the bung on top of the crossover Y pipe

Quote Originally Posted by Ed81DMC View Post
    I’m replacing my left exhaust manifold gasket. Anybody know what this “bung with a bolt in it” is for?
    See photo.
    Also what is the bedt tool to loosen the upper left (driver side) of the 4 nuts attaching the crossover pipe to the exhaust manifold? It squarely blocked by the oxygen sensor! I’m thinking of using a 17mm crow foot because a 17mm socket won’t fit over the nut without removing the oxygen sensor - which I can’t remove.

What is the best tool to remove the oxygen sensor (if I have to remove it)? It points toward the side of the vehicle and a longer sensor socket won’t fit over the sensor. Is it 13/16” or 20mm or 21mm?
    Photo of the bung on top of the crossover Y pipe Attached
    Attached Images

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

its removable so that you can insert a pipe and using a gas analyzer tool you can read the AFR or CO (mixture).

there is one on each side so that you can read each bank.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I found the top bolt on the driver's side was easiest to get at with a combination wrench from above. Even then it wasn't easy.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Oxygen Sensor is 13/16". Best tool to remove it is an oxygen sensor socket and/or an open end wrench, right after heating the bung with an acetylene torch.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you don't have an acetylene torch or even a turbo torch, run the engine to get things hot and then try to remove the sensor. Obvious warnings - wear gloves, don't touch the hot pipes, etc.
    -----Dan B.