FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Stalls

Stalls

Hi All,

My Delorean has a new microswitch and the idle regulator has been checked and is working. My problem remains, the car idles very well when cold and drives nice when accelerating. however, once it gets warm and I stop then go to accelerate the car stalls. starts right back up once my foot depresses the gas peddle. I can drive it without stalling as long as I keep it from idling to long when stopped.

what should I be testing or replacing?

Thanks in advance for your help

Newbee owner

Keith

My VIN:    03572

My guess is your mixture is not set correct. Use a dwell meter to set it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I agree with Dave M - symptom of being way too lean.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's lean because you probably have vacuum leaks. When it is cold it runs richer so the vacuum leaks don't affect it as much but once you warm up and try to run at the correct A/F ratio it is lean because of the "false air" from vacuum leaks. You can't fix it by messing with the mixture adjustment.
    David Teitelbaum

Thank you all.. I have been away since my posting and am only reading your replies now.... apparently there are no vacuum leaks as this was checked last time. I have since bought a thermister and was planning on changing this ? thoughts??

I will ask my mechanic to adjust the mixture again, but we have already tried and it only worked temporarily...

Keith

The only way I know to find every vacuum leak is with a smoke machine. Was one used? If not, you cannot say you don't have any vacuum leaks. The injectors should also be checked for flow and pattern. To get the motor to run smoothly at idle everything MUST be just so. Any imbalance will affect the idle quality and you cannot adjust that out by messing with the mixture screw.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks and yes the smoke was used to check for a leak and the injectors were cleaned. I will replace the oxygen sensor and see what happens unless there is something else I am missing???

Do you have an automatic or a 5-speed? If you are stalling with the 5-speed, it could be you are not slipping the clutch enough and/or increasing the RPM's enough as you start off in 1st.
    David Teitelbaum

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Is your mechanic familiar with DeLoreans? More importantly, k-jet? If he is, are you sure? I've seen a lot of DeLoreans that were "serviced regularly" with missing CO plugs, missing advance solenoids and re-routed vacuum hoses.

If hobbyists like myself and others can tune k-jet, your mechanic certainly should.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.