FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Turn Signals are dim with Headlight switch on

My VIN:    04629

Front Turn Signals are dim with Headlight switch on

Hello All,
    Let me start from the beginning....This car has all original wiring intact, no additions or changes. I do have Toby's LMS mod installed, correctly too.
    First I installed all LEDs to exterior lighting along with the proper flasher unit, second I installed "Angel Eyes" headlights and everything lights up correctly.
    Now this is where things get weird, when I turn on the Headlight switch either in 'Park lights' or 'Head lights' position the front turn signals light very dimly and don't flash properly.
    Also I noticed when the Headlights were switched only on 'Low Beam', the 'High Beam' lights were getting some power from somewhere (bulbs were very dim) ?
    Turning on the 'High Beams' position, they appear to light properly. Turn signals are still dim.
    If I don't use the Head light switch at all, front signals flash properly. Rear turn signals work correctly no matter if using head light switch or not.
    Is this a failing Headlight switch? Is this where maybe the "stray voltage" could be lighting my High Beams in the Low Beam position of said switch and causing my turn signal trouble too?
    I'm stumped any help is appreciated.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I just sent you a p.m. explaining why I haven't got back with you but first of all I would check like I stated in the p.m. with the connections of your headlights and your parking light 3 pin connector. Behind your headlight buckets is also a ground wire that bolts to the panel there that mounts all your headlights. Also the three pin connector that runs your front lights in your bumper can have very corroded and crusty connections and will need to be cleaned up or replaced. I actually replaced everything and installed a brand new 3 pin connector that is weatherproof that I got from Amazon with their weather pack connectors that they sell which seal any condensation and moisture out. Also check inside your sockets to see how well they look because those sockets can get pretty crusty in there as well and might have to be cleaned up or replaced. Mine were pretty corroded as well so I actually clean mine up with a wire brush hook to my Dremel and added a little bit of Dielectric grease to the socket. Since your car is all original and never really been tampered with I would start messing around with some of your electrical connectors to check for corrosion and stuff like that. There is a possibility you could be having a bad headlight switch as well and DMC sells a new updated version that works really nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    Hello All,
    Let me start from the beginning....This car has all original wiring intact, no additions or changes. I do have Toby's LMS mod installed, correctly too.
    First I installed all LEDs to exterior lighting along with the proper flasher unit, second I installed "Angel Eyes" headlights and everything lights up correctly.
    Now this is where things get weird, when I turn on the Headlight switch either in 'Park lights' or 'Head lights' position the front turn signals light very dimly and don't flash properly.
    Also I noticed when the Headlights were switched only on 'Low Beam', the 'High Beam' lights were getting some power from somewhere (bulbs were very dim) ?
    Turning on the 'High Beams' position, they appear to light properly. Turn signals are still dim.
    If I don't use the Head light switch at all, front signals flash properly. Rear turn signals work correctly no matter if using head light switch or not.
    Is this a failing Headlight switch? Is this where maybe the "stray voltage" could be lighting my High Beams in the Low Beam position of said switch and causing my turn signal trouble too?
    I'm stumped any help is appreciated.
    Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Thanks Cristian, I'll be removing the front panel and checking all connections, could this also cause my headlight to also be very dim when switch is in the Low Beam position?

Did the headlights work normally before? Since you are using the halo lights now did you change the light bulbs and if you did what did you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    Thanks Cristian, I'll be removing the front panel and checking all connections, could this also cause my headlight to also be very dim when switch is in the Low Beam position?
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This sounds more like a stock sealed beam to H4 conversion issue. If you’re old headlights were stock and the new halo housings use H4 bulbs, you will need to de-pin and move the black ground wire to the opposite side of the connector housing on the outer HI/LO assemblies. I think someone posted an illustration diagram in the resource section. Just look for H4 conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Also if your inner high beams use H4 bulbs, you will need to flip the connector so that it matches the wire color position of the outer connector. (The middle terminal of the bulb is not used)

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Also if your inner high beams use H4 bulbs, you will need to flip the connector so that it matches the wire color position of the outer connector. (The middle terminal of the bulb is not used)

I totally forgot about the h4s because I helped out a friend of mine who did that and when I did my Halos I went with LEDs for my low beam and high beams and I still had to do the same thing as well and it totally slipped my mind but that's a good thing that you said that

Front Turn Signals are dim with Headlight switch on

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I totally forgot about the h4s because I helped out a friend of mine who did that and when I did my Halos I went with LEDs for my low beam and high beams and I still had to do the same thing as well and it totally slipped my mind but that's a good thing that you said that

I helped a friend many years back with his conversion. His kit came with short harness extensions that did the wire repositioning. He didn’t think he needed them until he switched the headlights on and couldn’t figure out why the lights were dim and doing wonky things. Rather than use those extension harnesses I just moved the wires in the factory connector.

DENNIS

Yeah that's exactly what I did and I was wondering why my LEDs were acting a little goofy and it took me a minute to figure it out what a test light but my original headlight connectors were corroded and look gross so I went ahead and bought all new connectors and hard-wired am in but made sure they were correct so I didn't have to flip any pins
    I helped a friend many years back with his conversion. His kit came with short harness extensions that did the wire repositioning. He didn’t think he needed them until he switched the headlights on and couldn’t figure out why the lights were dim and doing wonky things. Rather than use those extension harnesses I just moved the wires in the factory connector.

Thanks for this suggestion, I'll flip those connections, as I didn't do the High Beam lights when I installed the whole set. Hopefully this will solve my "dim bulb" problem in the high beam lights too.

In my further testing yesterday, I found the 1157 LEDs don't work very well at flashing. I replaced them with the 1157 incandescent bulb, and flashing is normal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast