FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Turn Signals are dim with Headlight switch on

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ritztoys View Post
    Thanks for this suggestion, I'll flip those connections, as I didn't do the High Beam lights when I installed the whole set. Hopefully this will solve my "dim bulb" problem in the high beam lights too.

In my further testing yesterday, I found the 1157 LEDs don't work very well at flashing. I replaced them with the 1157 incandescent bulb, and flashing is normal.
    Not sure what you mean by don’t flash very well. Fix the headlight issue first then test the signals again.

My LED signals flash at a normal rate. It’s just that they go ON/OFF instantly.
    They ramp up/down like a a traditional filament bulb.

Are your Halo housings full LED or H4’s

What do you have in the Inner High beam locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    04629

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by don’t flash very well. Fix the headlight issue first then test the signals again.

My LED signals flash at a normal rate. It’s just that they go ON/OFF instantly.
    They ramp up/down like a a traditional filament bulb.

Are your Halo housings full LED or H4’s

What do you have in the Inner High beam locations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Photo of headlight issue
    20180608_100136.jpg

Changing/reversing the connector didn't solve the "stray voltage" issue as seen in photo.

All the bulbs are H4

LEDs when installed (without headlight switch on) work as they should. When the headlight switch is on then the LEDs are dim and don't flash correctly as you describe.

Okay guys, I pulled the #15 fuse (power to high beams via relay) and the problem persists. So now the 'stray voltage' is somewhere in the low beam circuit, maybe the turn-signal lever, aka. Dip Switch is faulty and 'leaking voltage' to the low beam circuit ?

My VIN:    03572

Do you have any alarm system? Keep pulling all the fuses until you see the light go away.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

No alarm system, total electrical is stock, no alterations. If I pull #14 fuse it will go away ( dim high beam filament glowing ), but also no low beam headlights either.

Okay guys, I pulled the #15 fuse (power to high beams via relay) and the problem persists. So now the 'stray voltage' is somewhere in the low beam circuit, maybe the turn-signal lever, aka. Dip Switch is faulty and 'leaking voltage' to the low beam circuit ?
    In my recent post ( #13 ), it is kinda confusing. I meant to say the leaking voltage is going through the low beam circuit to the high beam circuit , causing the 'glowing of the filament' in the high beam bulb.

In my recent post ( #13 ), it is kinda confusing. I meant to say the leaking voltage is going through the low beam circuit to the high beam circuit , causing the 'glowing of the filament' in the high beam bulb.
    Sorry, my memory failed me. I told you to swap the outer positions. It should be like this illustration for the outer housings. The ground and LOW positions get swapped. Also configure the Inner housing connector with the Ground and HIGH feed to match.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-08-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Edited to show Delorean wire colors.
    DENNIS

Thank-you Dennis,

This is what I was thinking, that maybe I moved the wrong wires and the incorrect positions have contributed to the 'stray voltage' powering the High Beam filament.

So I'm hoping this solves my issue, as I only did simple changes/additions to my cars electrical system. After my morning coffee, I'll take out the outer headlights and check ( PITA )

The high beam sockets/connector only have two wires, so swapping them won't do anything. I think you have my answer in the above diagram.
    Last edited by ritztoys; 06-09-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Problem Solved.......Hooray!

Dennis you where spot on with the wiring diagram you offered, I had the 'High Beam' and the 'Ground' connections reversed!

If you ever get the chance and find yourself in Indianapolis, stop by I owe you a few beers at least, Hooray for simple fixes!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast