FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: No brake lights

My VIN:    5433

No brake lights

Went for a drive today and it turned out that I don’t have any brake lights. All other lights are fine.
    I think it’s the brake lights switch.
    If I connect the 2 green wires with each other shouldn’t the brake lights come on? Mine don’t.

Any ideas?

My VIN:    03572

The two switch wires should be green/purple. Some cars have a glass fuse in the harness by the brake switch.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Yes, you're right they are green/purple. If I connect those 2 wires the brake lights don't light up.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The very first thing to check is always the fuse. I had a friend who practically tore his car apart because it wouldn't start. Turned out to be a fuse.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The two switch wires should be green/purple. Some cars have a glass fuse in the harness by the brake switch.
    ^^ This!!! Check for an inline fuse somewhere near the brake switch/steering column.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

One of the green/purple wires at the brake switch has 12v. I would expect when I connect the the wires at the switch the brake lights would come on. Also when the fuse was blown I don't think there would 12v on the green purple wire.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    One of the green/purple wires at the brake switch has 12v. I would expect when I connect the the wires at the switch the brake lights would come on. Also when the fuse was blown I don't think there would 12v on the green purple wire.
    Check the Green/Purple connection at the Black Bulkhead Connector for voltage, corrosion.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

One possibility is the filaments for the brake lights are burned out. See if there is power to them when you jumper the brake light switch or just check the bulbs.
    David Teitelbaum

Yesterday I jumped the two wires at the brake switch very quickly with a loose wire. Today I Jumped the two wires with a proper jumper cable and it turned out that the brake switch is broken.
    Already ordered a new brake switch and the proper jumper cable stays from now on in the car.

Thanks for all your solutions.