FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New front shocks: DeloreanGo "stock" shocks?

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I'm also riding on the original shocks and, like Kevin, would like to replace my front shocks with a straightforward replacement/install. Kevin, assuming you went with the shocks in your post, how did that work out?

One additional feature that appeals to me is adjustment. Rob commented that the basic shock is a bit "firm". I would like to have some adjustment. At this point I'm looking at the Spax shocks offered by DeLorean Go:
    https://www.deloreango.com/us/spax-s...ber-front.html

Has anyone installed these and how have they worked out? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,
    Ron
    I installed Spax shocks and DeLorean Europe lowering springs last summer and love the ride. They install easy, and adjust with the turn of a knob. the rears also have a threaded coil spring adjuster, so no slippage there. Got mine from Arran at DeLorean Go. Very happy with the ride and quality of these parts.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

After extensive testing, we fell in love with the OEM style shock absorber produced by DeLorean Europe. We stock this kit in quantity and highly recommend this over the failure prone spax units for owners not wanting a complete suspension solution as offered with our spec coil over offering. The pressures are just right producing an enjoyable ride much like a factory girling configured car. Also offered at the best price possible including free shipping anywhere in the United States.

https://deloreanindustries.com/shock...dated-washers/

factory_style_shock_absorber__86178.1552922688.800.600.jpg
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    ... highly recommend this over the failure prone spax units"

factory_style_shock_absorber__86178.1552922688.800.600.jpg
    Are SPAX failure prone? I guess you're seeing quite a decent number of cars in your workshop, but I know quite a few DeLorean owners who have been running Spaxs shocks for a number of years (myself included, which I've had for 7+ years I think) and genuinely haven't heard of any issues.

J

p.s. I don't work for SPAX lol

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Likewise^
    I haven't had any back from failures (from many hundreds)... I know there were a few issues, many years ago, with some of the mounting hardware where things had to be installed in a certain way or a washer would pull through (happened to me too), but I worked with Spax to vastly improve this, front and rear, with much beefed up bushings and hardware. I also didn't like the size of the mounting holes, and again I worked with Spax to improve this, this was a couple of years ago now.
    I can safely say I have sold more Spax shocks than anyone.

My VIN:    5462

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGo Arran View Post
    Likewise^
    I haven't had any back from failures (from many hundreds)... I know there were a few issues, many years ago, with some of the mounting hardware where things had to be installed in a certain way or a washer would pull through (happened to me too), but I worked with Spax to vastly improve this, front and rear, with much beefed up bushings and hardware. I also didn't like the size of the mounting holes, and again I worked with Spax to improve this, this was a couple of years ago now.
    I can safely say I have sold more Spax shocks than anyone.
    Ahh yes I did hear about a washer related thing some years ago but I don't recall it affecting my set so all good.

J

The picture below was not an isolated issue. These failures resulted in a massive recall on customer cars assembled with these components for safety issues. The rear adjustable perch section would sheer loose from the absorber. Spax washed their hands of the issue along with major vendors moving to avo's or coil overs as a response. Driving with spax units is extremely unsafe. This is why we offer only premium options. High quality coil over systems and tested purpose built factory configuration absorbers.

IMG_3290.jpg

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've neve seen that failure on the Spax shocks. I've never been a huge fan of them (in particular because of their original crappy bushings, and the hideous yellow color) but I've never seen anything I'd call catastrophic. The bushing failure would tend to damage the front frame, so it's good to hear that's been remedied. The AVOs IMO are a much higher quality product.

I'd wonder if it has something to do with the aftermarket stainless spring cups as they don't look to have the spacing bosses that the originals do. Maybe they somehow damaged the threads on the shock body.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Weld failure dave. Not thread failure. The weldment point rips off the shock body forcing the threaded collar down to the base. This has nothing to with the forming of the threads or damaged threads. Also our rear spring cup spacers have a welded inner ring to center on the collar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2