FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New front shocks: DeloreanGo "stock" shocks?

My VIN:    2234

New front shocks: DeloreanGo "stock" shocks?

I recently did some work on my front suspension, and I've concluded it's time to get some new front shocks (currently riding on the original Girlings, and they're not fairing too well).

Does anybody have any experience with (or opinion on) the "stock-like" shocks that DeloreanGo sells here?

I'm not looking for a high performance set, moreso a modestly priced and reasonably well-working set. These seem to fit the ticket. I've looked over a number of the shock threads on the forum, but I haven't read about anybody's experience with them. I've seen a couple people riding on Gabriel Guardians, but I hear those weren't specifically "formulated" for the weight distribution in our cars.

Thanks ahead of time for the feedback!

-Kevin
    VIN2234
    1 + 1 = 3 for exceptionally large values of 1.

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

Obvious biased answer from me - but I've had a bit of feedback from a few people that have installed them, and they are very happy. There are essentially a copy of the originals. Personally I prefer the idea of the Spax units, which are adjustable for comfort, but if you just want "shocks that work" then these are it. Not a crossover part, but specifically made for the car, with the original DeLorean part number stamped on them (not the original Girling number though) - and obviously great value.
    A fairly recent item (less than a year), so they aren't many out there yet, maybe 100 or so.... but hopefully someone with actual experience of them will comment below.

Hmmm... well I would have liked to have heard from someone on the forum who has had these installed, but it looks like I may have to be the one to test them out

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanGo Arran View Post
    ...I've had a bit of feedback from a few people that have installed them, and they are very happy. There are essentially a copy of the originals... Not a crossover part, but specifically made for the car, with the original DeLorean part number stamped on them (not the original Girling number though) - and obviously great value.
    Since these are essentially a copy of the original Girlings, then I'm assuming the metal bushing spacer matches the OEM size. Would you happen to know if any of the customers who have installed these are using the beefy Byrne Heninger LCAs, and if there were any installation issues? I installed a set of the Byrne LCAs, and when I went to put in my original Girling shocks, the spacer was too big to fit into the LCA (I imagine it's because the thickness of the LCA steel is doubled). I had to grind down 1mm on either end of the spacer to get the shock to fit properly.

-Kevin
    VIN2234

Not that I know of.

Just measuring an original shock here, it is 62.8mm wide at the spacers. The new ones are 62.0mm wide.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I know that we have performance replacements, but it's very nice to have a proper set of stock front shock replacements, instead of a "crossover". It looks very much like the Girling. I'm guessing the extended and compressed lengths are the same / similar?

Nice work DeloreanGo! What an awesome time to have one of these cars!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I know that we have performance replacements, but it's very nice to have a proper set of stock front shock replacements, instead of a "crossover". It looks very much like the Girling. I'm guessing the extended and compressed lengths are the same / similar?

Nice work DeloreanGo! What an awesome time to have one of these cars!
    I believe it is Ed Uding who has these made fwiw. We sell these as a lower cost alternative to AVO's and KW's which we also carry. They feel slightly firmer than stock but have a nicely controlled feel. It is too early to speculate on their longevity versus stock however. We've sold a few sets and have installed just one set so far. We mainly sell the AVO's because poeple usually want adjustable dampening but these are a good bang for the buck.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by axh174 View Post
    I recently did some work on my front suspension, and I've concluded it's time to get some new front shocks (currently riding on the original Girlings, and they're not fairing too well).

Does anybody have any experience with (or opinion on) the "stock-like" shocks that DeloreanGo sells here?

I'm not looking for a high performance set, moreso a modestly priced and reasonably well-working set. These seem to fit the ticket. I've looked over a number of the shock threads on the forum, but I haven't read about anybody's experience with them. I've seen a couple people riding on Gabriel Guardians, but I hear those weren't specifically "formulated" for the weight distribution in our cars.

Thanks ahead of time for the feedback!

-Kevin
    VIN2234
    I'm also riding on the original shocks and, like Kevin, would like to replace my front shocks with a straightforward replacement/install. Kevin, assuming you went with the shocks in your post, how did that work out?

One additional feature that appeals to me is adjustment. Rob commented that the basic shock is a bit "firm". I would like to have some adjustment. At this point I'm looking at the Spax shocks offered by DeLorean Go:
    https://www.deloreango.com/us/spax-s...ber-front.html

Has anyone installed these and how have they worked out? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I'm also riding on the original shocks and, like Kevin, would like to replace my front shocks with a straightforward replacement/install. Kevin, assuming you went with the shocks in your post, how did that work out?

One additional feature that appeals to me is adjustment. Rob commented that the basic shock is a bit "firm". I would like to have some adjustment.
    Hi Ron,

I did purchase the DeLoreanGo stock shocks. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the opportunity to install them. After rebuilding the front suspension (during which I used the original Girlings because I had not yet ordered the new shocks), I observed I have an excessive negative camber issue. I think I've discerned the source and have been meaning to solicit feedback from the forum here, but life has gotten in the way and the car has been in hibernation for the winter (maybe this post will give me the impetus to actually get that feedback).

With that said, I can at least say that, from examination of the DeLoreanGo shocks uninstalled, I personally am happy with them. My original Girlings are rock hard, and the DeLoreanGo shocks have a pleasant amount of "give" before firming up during compression and offer a smooth decompression. For the price, and admittedly subjective performance assessment, I'm happy with them!

Once I get them actually installed, I'll be sure to post my experiences here.

-Kevin
    VIN2234

Quote Originally Posted by axh174 View Post
    Hi Ron,

I did purchase the DeLoreanGo stock shocks. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the opportunity to install them. After rebuilding the front suspension (during which I used the original Girlings because I had not yet ordered the new shocks), I observed I have an excessive negative camber issue. I think I've discerned the source and have been meaning to solicit feedback from the forum here, but life has gotten in the way and the car has been in hibernation for the winter (maybe this post will give me the impetus to actually get that feedback).

With that said, I can at least say that, from examination of the DeLoreanGo shocks uninstalled, I personally am happy with them. My original Girlings are rock hard, and the DeLoreanGo shocks have a pleasant amount of "give" before firming up during compression and offer a smooth decompression. For the price, and admittedly subjective performance assessment, I'm happy with them!

Once I get them actually installed, I'll be sure to post my experiences here.

-Kevin
    VIN2234
    Kevin,
    Thanks for the response. Weather's beginning to improve here in the Northwest and the driving season will be with us again. I expect the forum interaction will pick up. Plus we'll be motivated to get thinks like shock upgrades etc. done.

I think the DeLoreanGo stock shocks look like a good option. However, I would still like the option to adjust the shock "firmness". In addition to the DeLoreanGo Spax option, I also see a AVO option on the Grady site. With the AVO option, it looks like you can also add lowering (shorter) front springs if desired to lower the front end about 1.5 inches for a claimed improvement in performance/looks.

So here are the two options I'm looking into and would appreciate any comments and recommendations:
    https://www.deloreango.com/us/spax-s...ber-front.html
    https://pjgrady.com/product/avo-shoc...uspension-kit/

The AVO option looks to be higher cost, and both adjustable options are more cost than the stock version.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
    Ron

We also stock the Avo shocks (as well as lower springs) ( https://www.deloreango.com/us/perfor...an-europe.html ) (fronts only: https://www.deloreango.com/us/front-...an-europe.html ) - both the Spax and Avo shocks are made here in the UK. The lower springs are compatible with all 3 options (stock,Spax,Avo) - but with the 2 more expensive options you also have the ability to adjust the rear height if you desire (by screwing the spring seat up and down).
    We've worked extensively with Spax over the years, making various changes and improvements to the hardware. Whilst there isn't much to choose from between the two "premium" options I'd say we've sold 10 times as many Spax as Avos - that is just us though, as we are more "known" for Spax. I will admit they are yellow, but I've had them on my car for 10 years now and have been very happy with them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast