FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DPI Spec I Exhaust Heat Shield Mount Failure

My VIN:    Early

DPI Spec I Exhaust Heat Shield Mount Failure

Yesterday, I started hearing a rattle from the exhaust, and found one Z mount to the heat shield broken. After removing the remnants of the upper left mount, I found that the lower left mount had also broken. Seems like the thin stainless didn't like the stress.
    IMG_20180616_2046362.jpg
    IMG_20180616_2046433.jpg

Anyone else ever have this issue, and more importantly are these systems even covered under a warranty?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Contact josh before posting threads like this. It’s always a good idea to check in with the vendor first.

But no, no failures over here and I got my spec 1 used!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16795

I had the same issue. Josh offered to replace the muffler if I sent the old one back, but I at the time I didn't want to have the car off the road for that long, so I ended up modifying my old heat shield (also stainless) and heat shield mounts that I had been using with the original style exhaust to fit with the DPI exhaust.

This seems like a better solution to me, as the heat shield isn't in contact with the thing is supposed to be shielding heat from, but I have no data or measurements to show that it makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I had the same issue. Josh offered to replace the muffler if I sent the old one back, but I at the time I didn't want to have the car off the road for that long, so I ended up modifying my old heat shield (also stainless) and heat shield mounts that I had been using with the original style exhaust to fit with the DPI exhaust.

This seems like a better solution to me, as the heat shield isn't in contact with the thing is supposed to be shielding heat from, but I have no data or measurements to show that it makes a difference.
    Do you have any pics of that setup? Would be quite expensive to ship my muffler to Josh.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10907

I actually had that happen just now on a long road trip. The mechanic who was with us said it would be a quick weld and his shop might not even charge me for it so I didn't even bother contacting Josh about it yet. I might drop him a line just to make sure it won't hurt anything to weld with it still on the car but if you've got somebody local who can fix it cheap that might be easier than trying to ship the whole thing back to DPI.
    Last edited by DaraSue; 06-17-2018 at 11:01 AM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

After seeing that failure and now hearing that it’s not isolated. It definitely appears to be a weak design.

A better and more stable configuration would be this. |__| welded with the legs vertical. The only thing that would be needed is to profile the muffler curvature to the flat pattern design before press-brake forming. Cost of the would be identical, roughly the same amount of material with 2 bends and welds, but with twice the structural integrity. Much less likely to fatigue.

What ever is done to fix yours, it needs to be tig welded with a Stainless filler wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-17-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    After seeing that failure and now hearing that it’s not isolated. It definitely appears to be a weak design.

A better and more stable configuration would be this. |__| welded with the legs vertical. The only thing that would be needed is to profile the muffler curvature to the flat pattern design before press-brake forming. Cost of the would be identical, roughly the same amount of material with 2 bends and welds, but with twice the structural integrity. Much less likely to fatigue.

What ever is done to fix yours, it needs to be tig welded with a Stainless filler wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is exactly why I decided to post on talk first... to see it there is a fault in the design.

Will probably do a stock heat shield if I can figure out how to mount it.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    This is exactly why I decided to post on talk first... to see it there is a fault in the design.

Will probably do a stock heat shield if I can figure out how to mount it.
    The thing is DPI is the golden boy of vendors for Talk. Negative threads get locked and locked quickly. Most other vendors are fair game.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Given how long these systems have been around, how many of them are out there and that this has just cropped up recently, it makes me wonder if something has changed.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

This next batch will push us over 700 systems I believe currently in the community. I've seen fewer than 20 failures like this in total. This includes the ones mentioned above. Also as stated above we always take care of it.

Cause has been determined a few years back. Owners who install without adjusting the CO tend to run leaner. On all of the muffler bodies we have warrantied they were heavily champagne on the outer skin.

This style muffler body has been superseded with the GEN3 version as of late 2016 with an updated muffler body not requiring the additional external heat shield. GEN 1 had a thinner mount, the one above is a z tab (gen2). We will be offering a secondary substrate that bolts directly to mounting points on the timing cover for owners who absolutely want one. But testing has shown it is a mute point.

As always it's best to contact us directly if you have a problem or concern with a product. We will tell it to you straight and you won't get the "i've never seen this before and I've sold 100's" line others in the community dish out. I'm sure the owners we have assisted with this concern in full will chime in regarding the process.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 06-17-2018 at 03:42 PM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast