FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DPI Spec I Exhaust Heat Shield Mount Failure

My VIN:    5786, 3196

Club(s):   (DMA)

The heat shields on the catalytic converters on the DPI exhaust on my wife's car started rattling due to failed welds a year or so ago. Josh has stated a few times that these systems have a lifetime warranty on them, and told me directly that he'd repair or replace the cats if I sent them to him.

Well, somehow one of the cats become stuck on the muffler. Even prying the outer slip tube didn't break it free, so I sent the muffler and cats to Josh. He said there wasn't really any way to save the muffler due to the damage that would be/had been done to it while trying to separate it from the catalytic converter. I had to buy a new (updated) muffler, but he sold it to me at his cost, and sent me new cats, new (longer/updated) exhaust tips, and new installation hardware. It all bolted up just fine to the headers that were still on the car.

So, there is a warranty on these things if they fail, and the replacement will likely be an updated design (to me, that's a good thing).

I can verify that the new muffler doesn't have a heat shield on it. It also mounts slightly differently (only uses the lower mounts, which is easier to install) and seems to be slightly smaller. So, it seems that the issue the OP has will be fixed with a warranty replacement, which shouldn't be difficult to obtain.
    -Derrin

5786: DPI cams and cat-less exhaust, galvanized and powder coated manual frame for a proper 5-speed conversion

3196 - My wife's DeLorean: DMCH new build, DPI rebuilt engine with performance cams and exhaust

1956 Oldsmobile Super 88
    1960 Chevrolet Impala
    1961 Corvette
    1972 Buick Skylark GS 455 Clone
    1975 Corvette (to be sold once restored)
    1976 Corvette (wife's car)
    1979 Corvette Daily Driver
    1987 Corvette (technically wife's car)

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    So how exactly does the stock shield mount? Forgot since I took it off back in 2014.
    Maybe this link will bring back fond memories?

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Do you have any pics of that setup? Would be quite expensive to ship my muffler to Josh.
    20180618_092824.jpg
    20180618_092848.jpg
    20180618_092920.jpg

I have about 30-40k miles on that setup. I should probably remove the brackets and clean and paint them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3