FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel injector clip loose

My VIN:    2567

Fuel injector clip loose

Hey Guys,

I just recently got my d and I am still not 100% on how the PRV v6 should idle but for some reason for the past couple rides it was feeling a little off. However once it got going it seemed to drive and perform without issue. I took it out today and was noticing a small hiss sound and it had trouble starting. I also noticed it was hunting for idle which was new. I went to start it again after letting it sit for a bit and it made what I can only describe as a small backfire and then would no longer start at all. After checking all my air hoses, I started tracing out the fuel lines and sure enough one of the fuel injectors was loose sitting about a half an inch high. I'm thinking when I heard that backfire it popped out, and was probably just loose before that. I was able to stick it back in and noticed the clip only holds it in loosely. I was able to bend the prongs on the clip so it holds in tight now. I also checked the other injectors and they all seemed tight. I was curious if anyone else has had issues with these clips? Should I replace that one, or all of them? It seems to fit tight now but it has me worried. Last thing I want is an injector coming out and spraying fuel on the engine while driving down the highway at 88MPH! Great Scott! After getting it put back together the car started right up and does not seem to hunt at idle even in the slightest. In fact the idle seems right on and the engine very responsive when sitting and revving or driving the car through time. The hiss sound is gone as well. The fuel lines are all already ss, I have included a link with a picture of the injector and clip in question. Any advice would be appreciated.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/duj516aZNy4cXrQ29
    Joe Morgan - Timelord
    Joe’s Datacenter, LLC

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It was probably bent when installed...Just keep an eye on it for awhile.

My VIN:    03572

You may want to get new rubber seals also. New ones will hold injector tighter.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    2567

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You may want to get new rubber seals also. New ones will hold injector tighter.
    Thanks for the info everyone. I would feel better knowing they were all tight and right. I decided to go ahead and order new seals and clips. Only ended up costing $50 from DMC store online for all six.
    Joe Morgan - Timelord
    Joe’s Datacenter, LLC

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I had this happen once before - Exact same scenario.
    Replaced the clips and was fine. If you don't know the age of the boots it can't hurt to replace those too as Dave mentioned.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

If the clips are loose replacement is definitely required. As mentioned above it is also not a bad idea to replace the injector boots. Both manufactured new (not NOS) by DeLorean Industries.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/13-injector-clip/

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/11-injector-seal/
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    03572

If your boots are original, you probably need to cut them off the injectors. The rubber gets so hard you can't pull them off.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This happened to me, and I couldn't figure why my car wouldn't start until I looked more closely. One of the injectors shot completely out of the hole. It was right after a drive, too. The motor did that typical "surge", and I guess there was enough compression there to pop the injector out along with the clip.