FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recover rear trim panel w/ arm rest?

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Anyone recover rear trim panel w/ arm rest?

My bolster was broken loose by someone sitting in my car back in 2015. Over the weekend, as I was removing it to attempt a fix, I discovered that the vinyl has all but torn where it mates around the door underneath the weather stripping. There's hardly any connected material left to adhere it around the door. It is looking completely sad and I think it's time to completely overhaul this thing while I go about figuring out how to best reattach the bolster. It's quite the complex panel with the speaker holes, seat belt, unique shape, etc.

https://store.delorean.com/p-10070-t...st-lh-blk.aspx

What materials and adhesives have you used to successfully recover/restore yours? I'm not willing to relocate my rear speakers at this point, so whatever I end up doing, I'll have to figure out a way to punch holes for the speakers. Hopefully that's not a deal-breaker.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    My bolster was broken loose by someone sitting in my car back in 2015. Over the weekend, as I was removing it to attempt a fix, I discovered that the vinyl has all but torn where it mates around the door underneath the weather stripping. There's hardly any connected material left to adhere it around the door. It is looking completely sad and I think it's time to completely overhaul this thing while I go about figuring out how to best reattach the bolster. It's quite the complex panel with the speaker holes, seat belt, unique shape, etc.

https://store.delorean.com/p-10070-t...st-lh-blk.aspx

What materials and adhesives have you used to successfully recover/restore yours? I'm not willing to relocate my rear speakers at this point, so whatever I end up doing, I'll have to figure out a way to punch holes for the speakers. Hopefully that's not a deal-breaker.
    How broken are you talking? A trimmer should be able to restore the bolster and reattach it.

Lee Pattison in the UK has fix for the torn vinyl by the door, he adds a new 'flap' of leather which is fixed to the edge of the panel, and you glue that into place on the car. Looks pretty neat once it's done and in place. Some pictures here http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewto...&t=5593#p74197
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

That's the best solution I've seen so far. The result appears to be fantastic! What's the best way to get in touch with Lee?
    Jared L.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

If you scroll up on that link Lees contact number is in the first post, along with some other examples of his work.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    Midproduction

I got mine done through just dashes. They did an awesome job and the material is thicker (better) than original. For a pretty penny though...
    IMG_7094.jpg
    Attached Images

My VIN:    2245

Did they recover the bolster as well? It looks like it's has the ripple pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    I got mine done through just dashes. They did an awesome job and the material is thicker (better) than original. For a pretty penny though...
    IMG_7094.jpg
    Also, how much is considered a "pretty penny?"
    Jared L.

My VIN:    Midproduction

The bolster is original although they did fix a small hole/tear on the bolster
    I got the job done last year, and they charged me $400 each panel plus $100 for color matching.
    Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    Did they recover the bolster as well? It looks like it's has the ripple pattern.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I was able to recover mine with upholstery material but I've been unable to find a way to punch holes for the speakers so I put the vinyl back on them. I have the same problem with the dashboard - I recovered it but I've not been able to get the holes so now I do not have front speakers.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I was able to recover mine with upholstery material but I've been unable to find a way to punch holes for the speakers so I put the vinyl back on them. I have the same problem with the dashboard - I recovered it but I've not been able to get the holes so now I do not have front speakers.
    Not a big loss IMHO I run kickpods and removed the rear speakers entirely. Stereo imaging is improved with only 2 channels in such a small cabin.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast