FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recover rear trim panel w/ arm rest?

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I was able to recover mine with upholstery material but I've been unable to find a way to punch holes for the speakers so I put the vinyl back on them. I have the same problem with the dashboard - I recovered it but I've not been able to get the holes so now I do not have front speakers.
    What about a hollow hole punch for the speaker holes? Would that work?
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I suppose it is worth a shot, but to find a small enough one to match the holes already in the cardboard panel may be difficult. I may look into it and try it on the dash, that one doesn't really matter how large the holes are since the speaker part underneath with the holes has been removed.
    -----Dan B.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Here are some pics of my sad rear trim panels. I realized today that my passenger side is torn all along the seam near the weather stripping, meaning I need to have both sides overhauled. I really appreciate the two leads, which I will explore. If anyone else has restored/recovered their panels themselves, any additional info about materials, process, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

My end caps look about the same as yours if not worse- all ripped up and broken (I have gray interior so the black plastic underneath them is showing). The vinyl on them is discolored in places close to the door opening and of course the vinyl is cracked and broken where the seal is however the broken sections were able to be hidden by oversize inner door seals. I used a very tough material that looks very close to leather but it doesn't have the "ripple" though for the parts that are originally leather. I used the same on the dash but I can't remember where I got it from or what it was called, I can look at the card tonight and tell you. If you're good at upholstery you can lay the material down and work out much of the ripples and wrinkles, I do have numerous photos of this process somewhere I'd have to find. When it came to the speaker area I tried cutting holes, burning holes, punching holes (although I didn't use a hollow punch) and nothing worked. When I found I couldn't replicate the holes, I dejectedly removed the material and glued the original vinyl back down. I should have recovered the actual leather portions but to date I have not. For the actual vinyl I searched for heat shrinking vinyl in gray that I could try to use and came up short. The original vinyl goes down and into each hole for the speaker so cutting holes may not even have a nice appearance but at least the area is in the back in the dark. Maybe I can find a different material to try but for now, I'm just dealing with the appearance and enjoying driving the car instead. The bolsters are the worst part of my car's interior, the carpet is second.
    Last edited by dn010; 06-20-2018 at 03:52 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    1890

A PO cut my panels to install replacement speakers. I've removed the driver's side panel to repair the armrest mounting, and while thinking about how to remount the panel, this caught my eye:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    Lee Pattison in the UK has fix for the torn vinyl by the door, he adds a new 'flap' of leather which is fixed to the edge of the panel, and you glue that into place on the car. Looks pretty neat once it's done and in place. Some pictures here http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewto...&t=5593#p74197
    This looks good, but I can't tell from the pictures how Lee's repair strip mounts to the edge of the panel. I wouldn't think that mere glue would survive a swipe from my fat butt. Anybody know?
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    A PO cut my panels to install replacement speakers. I've removed the driver's side panel to repair the armrest mounting, and while thinking about how to remount the panel, this caught my eye:

This looks good, but I can't tell from the pictures how Lee's repair strip mounts to the edge of the panel. I wouldn't think that mere glue would survive a swipe from my fat butt. Anybody know?
    20161207_003244.jpg 20161207_003230.jpg
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

I added bias binding to the panel with 3M tape. Just search for Auto Carpet Bias Binding on ebay. It is 1.25" wide and 10 yards for $13. Looks good.

My VIN:    1890

Thanks guys. Really not sure now what I will do. I might recover the panels, forget about the speaker holes, and move/replace the speakers to the rear shelf.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    3455

If you can’t find a good way to punch speaker holes, or if you try and it doesn’t look as good as you’d like, you might consider some cheap speaker grills from amazon. They have some low profile options that would mask any damage or unfinished portion.

My VIN:    16795

I just recovered my rear panels. I shopped around locally for someone to do them, but no one wanted to touch them, so I decided to try it myself.

My panels had a single piece of vinyl covering both the panels and the arm rests. When I removed the vinyl underneath on the arm rests was another layer of what looked like perfectly good fabric backed vinyl, except that while the passenger side was the correct black the drivers side was grey.

I removed the arm rests from the panels, and glued a single piece of fabric backend vinyl on each panel. The fabric wouldn't quite stretch enough to down all the way into the seat belt recesses, so I ended up cutting it and then gluing a rectangular piece of fabric over the seam. If I had sewing skills I probably could have made it look nicer by stitching in some fabric instead.

I used black paint for vinyl on the arm rests to get the colors to match, and then reattached them to the panels.

For the speaker holes, I punched holes through the fabric with a small screw driver, and then put a rubber grommet in each hole to cover up the rough looking fabric edges.

IMG_20180921_182646338.jpg

Not perfect, but not bad for just $60 in materials.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast