FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Anyone recover rear trim panel w/ arm rest?

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

I removed the arm rests from the panels, and glued a single piece of fabric backend vinyl on each panel. The fabric wouldn't quite stretch enough to down all the way into the seat belt recesses, so I ended up cutting it and then gluing a rectangular piece of fabric over the seam. If I had sewing skills I probably could have made it look nicer by stitching in some fabric instead.

Attachment 58071

Not perfect, but not bad for just $60 in materials.
    I have a little experience with recovering without sewing after fiddling with my cracked dash.

Best way is to first glue in the deep recess. After that glue dries, start to work the leather or vinyl out from the recess. It will give a few flush wrinkles, but I imho, that adds some character to it.

Here's a few pics of my dash pad. Notice the glovebox recess. IMG_3533.jpgIMG_3532.jpgIMG_3536.jpg

Someday, maybe I'll try recover my beat up quarter trim panels as well...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    How broken are you talking? A trimmer should be able to restore the bolster and reattach it.

Lee Pattison in the UK has fix for the torn vinyl by the door, he adds a new 'flap' of leather which is fixed to the edge of the panel, and you glue that into place on the car. Looks pretty neat once it's done and in place. Some pictures here http://www.deloreaneurotec.uk/viewto...&t=5593#p74197
    Mike,

Your pictures of Lee's work with the rear trim panels is exactly what I'm looking for. I stupidly cut my panels off (instead of using a heat gun) when I replaced my rear speakers and now the trim is all crap. I had the idea of stitching on a new piece of vinyl and luckily found your post! When re-installing the panels, did you wrap and glue the new trim piece around the door and add clips, or did you just wrap and clip? Has the stitching held up after years of getting in and out of the car?

Your Panel:
    rearpanel1.jpg

My Panel:
    596.jpg
    753.jpg
    Curtis Bateman
    [email protected]
    Virginia
    VIN 4797 Oct 1981

My VIN:    15275

rear armrest pieces..

I have posts on delorean nation and the resto page.. i am currently revacumm forming these pieces just to let you know.. they are not quite as perfect as justdashes does but so far they are coming out very nice.... Dave..and for reference they are charging 1300 dollars to redo these now with out speaker holes and also an additional couple hundred to dye them

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3