FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: DeLoreanGo Side Scoops

My VIN:    4322

DeLoreanGo Side Scoops

I just noticed these for sale on the DeLoreanGo website:

https://www.deloreango.com/au/side-s...with-hole.html

I've been wanting a set for a while but didn't have the tools or skills to make one.

I've got a set on order and will review. Probably only going to use the passenger (functional) side one for now.

Interestingly, talking to Chris Nicholson about the original ones on the Turbo cars, he mentioned that to properly fit them the quarter window and side grille had to be removed, and the scoop would be glued between. So it will be interesting to see how these go.

Will post some pics once I get them.

I think the Deloreango ones just fix to the stainless around the edge of the vent/rear 1/4 window, whereas it sounds like the original ones had a lip that tucked under between the stainless and the vent/glass.
    I’d be interested to know what you think of them when you get them. I’ve been following the guy who made them on Facebook and have seen them taking shape for a few weeks.
    I like the look of them but I’m not sure about the fixing method. Assuming they do actually catch some air they will tend to be pulled away from the body with some force. I’m sure it wouldn’t be a too difficult to make something stronger to fix them.

My VIN:    3182

Besides being cute of what good are theses?
    Air flow on this body section is not a lot and scoops will not help here.
    It seems to be sporty but wrong. My WAG is that it would actually slow down the car.
    Bob

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by carbob81 View Post
    Besides being cute of what good are theses?
    Air flow on this body section is not a lot and scoops will not help here.
    It seems to be sporty but wrong. My WAG is that it would actually slow down the car.
    Bob
    These actually do increase air flow down into the air intake. The fella who designed this tested by measuring the speed of the air that is funneled down into the intake. At a driving speed of nearly 70mph without the scoop, he was measuring about ~5mph of wind while he was able to achieve nearly the same wind speed as driving speed with the scoop installed.
    Last edited by JBaker4981; 11-27-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by carbob81 View Post
    Besides being cute of what good are theses?It seems to be sporty but wrong. My WAG is that it would actually slow down the car.
    This seems to be the case. His name escapes me, but I spoke with a gentleman from Legend Industries at DCS2016. He said their testing showed the scoops as-is were too small to be useful even for intercooler flow.

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    These actually do increase air flow down into the air intake.
    That test was performed without measuring air mass, only air speed using an anemometer and the results were to be expected (that adding a scoop would increase air movement). You'd have to measure air mass into the engine before & after to determine if it was actually helping.

To increase intake pressure using scoops you'd have to spend quite a bit of time getting the sizing just right (they'd likely be huge). You'd have to seal the intake otherwise its in one side and out the water drain / loose ducting.

BUT don't get me wrong - I do like the look
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Smile From the designer....

Hi Guys,

As the chap who has designed/produced these I just wanted to chip in with a couple of comments, there will of course be lots of discussion/critique which is very welcome and par for the course when involved in any community such as this one

Apologies that this is a little wordy, but it may be of interest for some...

I came up with many scoop designs of all shapes and sizes (you can see a couple below) until I has happy with the look of the scoops when fitted to the car. My intention wasn't to copy the Legend scoops, rather use them as inspiration - you can see a couple of my early tests incorporated the Legend Industries logo - I haven't really studied many photos that closely.

I had originally only intended to design and produce a passenger side scoop with the thought that it would divert a little more cool air into the intake ducting, but primarily it was a cosmetic project. However lots of reaction/activity to an early post on Facebook prompted me to produce a driver's side scoop as well including a version which would accommodate the rear electric aerial (as I have on my own car).

I work quite a lot with DeLoreanGo and they supported the project so I continued to developed the design until I was 100% happy with the fit, finish, aesthetics and function of the scoops. The first batch were delivered to DeLoreanGo and sold out very quickly which was a real boost.

With regards to testing the comments are quite correct, my experiments and testing were fun and very non-scientific, and I have openly stated that, my aim was really to insure they didn't impede air flow, or cause any unwanted noise of buffeting effect. Most will buy these as a cosmetic piece for their cars and they are easy to install and can be removed with no lasting impact.

Along with various designs and shapes, I tested a number of methods of adhesion, firstly with a ridge which wedged in around the window seal, much like the Legend ones, but I then saw a couple of other DeLoreans where the rear windows were sealed differently and so that would not work. I then went for a brim around the outside with sealant type adhesive, this worked well but I didn't like the aesthetics. Finally I trialled no brim but with the back up tether and 3M gel tape which was recommended to me, coupled with a bead of sealant. This worked well, looked good and was suitable for the end user to install.

Note the 1st two are raw unfinished test prints at low resolution i.e you can see the print lines.
    scoop2.jpg scoop1.jpg scoop3.jpg

So these adhere direct to the SS panel using a 3M vinyl adhesive, it's like a double sided gel which sticks nicely and can be removed without any lasting effect on the panel. This is backed up with a simple zip-tie tether which goes through the rearmost vane of the existing vent grill, then a quick smudge of black sealant around the edge with a gloved finger for a seamless finish.

I had test scoops on my car for about 3-weeks whilst testing, driving regularly at highway speed 70+mph without issue, at that time I only had 4 small blobs of the 3M adhesive on as I knew I would have to remove them, but even so I had no issues. I did then removed them, ironically so I could re-install them and photograph the process to produce an installation guide. When I removed them it was easy, I snipped the zip tie, pealed them away from the adhesive with a long sustained pull and then cleaned the stainless with alcohol, you would never know it was on.

This was a fun, personal project which developed into a nice finished product for a small market of enthusiasts, I really hope those who purchase these really enjoy them.

No doubt those who have bought them will report back to the community so I will be nervously awaiting people's comments :-|

Best to all

James
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 11-29-2019 at 10:19 AM.

That’s good, I didn’t realize they came with an adhesive strip installed. As DeloreanGo’s listing for them recommended buying a tube of their black adhesive/sealer I assumed the fixing method was something the purchaser had to work out for themselves.
    I like the look of them and whether they’re truly functional wouldn’t be a big concern, for me.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Robmac123 View Post
    That’s good, I didn’t realize they came with an adhesive strip installed. As DeloreanGo’s listing for them recommended buying a tube of their black adhesive/sealer I assumed the fixing method was something the purchaser had to work out for themselves.
    I like the look of them and whether they’re truly functional wouldn’t be a big concern, for me.
    I

Personally I'd definately use a bead of sealer to get a very smart finish, but it's not really required to actually hold them on.

J

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamesrguk; 11-29-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk