Thread: VR6 Mated to 5 Speed Automatic

My VIN:    831

VR6 Mated to 5 Speed Automatic

I know it's a big task, but I'm thinking about it...

12v VR6 mated to a Porsche 986 tiptronic transaxle using the adapter from 034 motorsports
    https://store.034motorsport.com/adap...tro-trans.html

Factory ecm for vr6 and tcm for tiptronic are both VAG units, so in theory, they should talk to each other.
    Rodolfo
    VR6 Swap in Progress...
    Delorean.eu Roof Box, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster w/Cruise, QA1 Suspension.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I vote yes! Imagine the power you could make with a turbo vr6 and the ability to actually use it without blowing a weak transmission.

Now getting all that VAG stuff to talk and be happy... i wish you luck, hope you can find a VW tech thats into that big challenge.

The adaptor from 034 motorsport is actually an adapter used on longitudinally mounted European VR5 applications. As a result, the crankshaft spacer used on those applications is also needed. I was in luck as I found one listed on ebay from Australia....
    Screenshot_20180623-115040~2.jpg

Now all that is need is an Audi A4 torque convertor (has a smaller diameter pilot), and the VR6 and Boxster 5HP19 will bolt together with no custom work.

Still looking for a low mile VR6 and and Boxster transaxle....
    Rodolfo
    VR6 Swap in Progress...
    Delorean.eu Roof Box, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster w/Cruise, QA1 Suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Now getting all that VAG stuff to talk and be happy... i wish you luck, hope you can find a VW tech thats into that big challenge.
    To make it happy and obdII compatible I may also need a gateway...

Of course I won't care about the picky codes, since I won't see them. Only issue is overcoming limp mode, and that should be possible with some custom tunes.
    Rodolfo
    VR6 Swap in Progress...

Just found there's no way to flip differential direction on the boxster tiptronic. As a result, I will have to use the 5hp19fl out of the 996 Carrera. Of course, I will now have to contact someone to make an adapter plate.
    Rodolfo
    VR6 Swap in Progress...

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (TXDMC)

i noticed the similarities between the vw engine bellhousings (4 cylinders as well) when researching for my 996 6mt swap.

It should adapt fairly easily.

Get an auto out of a 911, theroretically it should work.

Keep in mind these transmissions are absoultely massive for the delorean frame, it may not fit.