FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LFX 3.6 Delorean

LFX 3.6 Delorean

Currently working on my LFX conversion. I chose this engine for I variety or reasons: because the engines are inexpensive ($1600 - 2015 Camaro LFX with 20k miles); I wanted to do my own thing and I felt it was a right for the job being a V6 with 323hp and 278ft lbs. I am currently finishing a custom flywheel on my Bridgeport mill. I think the hardest thing to do was the crank bolt pattern - no rime or reason to the pattern. I used my rotary table and spindle scope to map it.

The adapter plate was completed much like the one LS1 - Nick R made, although I was able to keep the stock LFX starter and attached the LFX ring gear to my custom flywheel. Nick R's work has still helped me even though i'm using a different power plant. Thanks Nick (LS1 Nick, kind of famous)

The engine fits good in the engine bay. I made engine brackets that utilize the OEM mounts. The only fitment problem is the air intake. It is very close to the back GRP bumper support? I will be running my air intake pluming through the bumper support and to the pontoons on each side. The other fitment adjustment was the oil pan. I had to cut/machine/weld a suitable pan from a Buick Enclave.

ECM- I got the ECM programed by a gentlemen I found on youtube -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pENdPeTZAwA. He works for a jeep place that installs LFX swaps. He built the harness for me too . I still need to adapt the throttle cable to the Camaro gas peddle.

Power steering delete: I found some LFX swapping Mazda guys who make a bypass pulley and belt.

Still debating on cutch and pressure plate. Apparently I have an 350z option with Kevlar disk i'm investigation

Your thoughts and recommendations wecome.

Ill keep ya posted
    Dan

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I have the 350z pressure plate in my LS4 swap. Makes for a pretty heavy pedal, as a heads up.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I'm excited to see this project come together! That seems like a really sound engine choice. I can't wait to see pictures of it all together.

I'm actually seeing my clutch slip for the first time since first doing my swap. It's a kevlar disc with one of the higher pressure Renault pressure plates. I dont actually think it's worn out, I think it unfortunately got saturated with transmission oil due to a leak, and now just doesn't have the friction it previously had due to the oil. I too have to now make a decision on what clutch setup to switch to. My current flywheel is only drilled with the Renault pattern, so I can stick with that if that's easiest. The nice thing there is that it still uses the stock throwout bearing so it would just be a like for like swap. I've also got a flywheel on the shelf ready to go that's drilled for both the AP Racing clutch, and the Nissan 350z clutch. Decisions, decisions...

Excited to see photos of this project.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    5312

What an owner that lives in Chesapeake? Dude I keep my delorean in Chesapeake how have we not met? Hit me up dude
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    What an owner that lives in Chesapeake? Dude I keep my delorean in Chesapeake how have we not met? Hit me up dude
    Wow another Virginia DeLorean. Y’all need to drive more. I’m getting tired of being the only D driving around on a regular basis.

My VIN:    Midproduction

I'll be another (northern) Virginia owner as of this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    I'll be another (northern) Virginia owner as of this weekend.
    Awesome. I’ve tried several times (unsuccessfully) to get a few VA owners together in the past. Perhaps that will become easier soon.

My VIN:    01643

I'd love to get an update on how this project is going. Hopefully it's made some good progress since this thread started.

Side note, regarding the clutch, if that is still up in the air I can't recommend the 350z clutch pressure plate enough. I installed it last year and it's worked out great. I even bought a segmented kevlar disc to run wiht it, but decided to run an organic disc first in the name of changing only one variable at a time. Plus with the extra holding force of the Nissan plate, I was worried the segmented kevlar may be too grippy. Still have the clutch on the shelf in case I decide to go down that road later, but for now, I say the Nissan pressure plate with the standard disc is the way to go.

Are these engines direct injection? If so, any fuel system plans?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast