FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A good fitting USB charger for a cigarette lighter?

A good fitting USB charger for a cigarette lighter?

I’ve got a more expensive low profile Anker charger to stick in the cigarette lighter but it doesn’t power anything as if it’s not deep enough for something to make the connection. I have another cheap crappy one that’s longer and I have to finagle it to get it to stay on also like it’s not making a good connection. Is that kind of how the cigarette lighters or or has anybody found a good fitting USB charger ( that doesn’t stick out ) ?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The best way to fix the fitment issue is to upgrade your lighter socket to the slightly smaller diameter US spec version. I did the conversion a few years ago. No more issues with adapters falling out anymore.

This is the popular replacement available that I installed.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/12-vo...hter-assembly-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

One solution is to buy an extension kind of thing that plugs in and gives you 2 outlets to plug things into. Some have replaced the outlet with a deeper one to solve the problem. Others have added another, deeper outlet to plug things into. Others added a USB plug for the USB stuff. Depends on what you want to spend, how handy you are, how much you use the car, and how much you want to modify the car.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16409

This is the USB solution I like:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/400701981756

You simply connect this adapter into the cigar lighter wiring. No messing around with silly plugs. The box can be hidden under the center console.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    I’ve got a more expensive low profile Anker charger to stick in the cigarette lighter but it doesn’t power anything as if it’s not deep enough for something to make the connection. I have another cheap crappy one that’s longer and I have to finagle it to get it to stay on also like it’s not making a good connection. Is that kind of how the cigarette lighters or or has anybody found a good fitting USB charger ( that doesn’t stick out ) ?
    Here's a USB charger that worked in my D. It fits the type B lighter socket and when in position, looks very much like the OEM lighter:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is an AUKEY made to work with the larger "European" style B lighter sockets. It has worked well in my car, first with my iphone, now with the android I currently have.

Here's a link with some photos at post 11:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...ry-port-issues

Ron

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The best way to fix the fitment issue is to upgrade your lighter socket to the slightly smaller diameter US spec version. I did the conversion a few years ago. No more issues with adapters falling out anymore.

This is the popular replacement available that I installed.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/12-volt-accessories/4471/illuminated-lighter-assembly-
    +1 on this! I installed this a few years ago and it looks 100% stock, and my socket frustrations have ended. This is a must do swap. It previously shipped with a lighter that looked nearly identical to stock, but doesn't appear to anymore. If you want a stock looking cigarette lighter to put in the gowesty socket, a 90s VW lighter is very close. You just need to paint over the smoking symbol.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    3294

http://www.gowesty.com/product/12-vo...ghter-assembly

I've got the same replacement lighter socket in my car as well. Same wiring as the original, and fits everything you plug into it.

I also have a USB charging port installed INSIDE my ashtray. It's a combination USB / HDMI jack that I bought off of Amazon. The USB portion of the jack is hardwired to a power supply that's mounted in the relay compartment. The HDMI portion of the jack is wired to my Jensen VX4012 head unit so I can mirror my phone to the touchscreen on my stereo. Works perfectly. When I'm not using either one, I can simply slide the ashtray closed and you never know it's even there.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Thanks For all the options guys. With the cigarette lighter being on all the time now - I want to make it so that it’s only powered when the car key is on. What’s the closest thing to wire it to in order to do that?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Redsquall View Post
    Thanks For all the options guys. With the cigarette lighter being on all the time now - I want to make it so that it’s only powered when the car key is on. What’s the closest thing to wire it to in order to do that?
    Careful, you need a 20 AMP circuit for the cig lighter and it should be by itself.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Careful, you need a 20 AMP circuit for the cig lighter and it should be by itself.
    David, I plan to only power USB stuff with it. And not have an actual lighter anymore – does that alleviate the need to have it on a 20 amp breaker? If so, what’s the simplest way to make it run when the car is on only? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast