FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suitable replacement compact jack

My VIN:    10270

Suitable replacement compact jack

My car never had the original tire jack. I figure it's time to start carrying one just in case but I'm not in the market for a $120 vintage artifact

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a compact tire-changing jack that fits in the OEM location. There are a million scissor-lift jacks on amazon, harbor freight, etc., but maybe there is a truly life-affirming product out there?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are figuring on ever having to use the spare you should also consider replacing the tire. It is over 30 years old and recent posts of owners who had to use it mention that the spare gave up after only a few miles. As for the jack, call Bob Miller @ 919-477-7516. He may have one and he won't ask $120 but it may be a little rusty!
    David Teitelbaum

New Kumho spare tire arrives today! $67 delivered, not too shabby.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    Between VINs

I had the same Kumho installed two weeks ago.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    New Kumho spare tire arrives today! $67 delivered, not too shabby.
    I ordered the same tire, it will also be here today!

My VIN:    6125

Just throwing my 2 cents in regarding the jack. If you can find an original for a decent price I'd highly recommend going that route vs some other alternative. The OE jack has a little dimple in the center that mates up with the jack plates on the car and reduces the chance of the jack slipping out and the car falling down.

I'm not sure how much luck you will have finding something else that fits anyway... Our cars are so low that I can't even get a regular floor jack under the jack points. When changing a tire in my garage if I don't want to lift up the whole car using the frame I'll just get out the stock jack and raise up one corner. It's actually a pretty nice quality jack for what it is.

Oh, and anyone else is looking for a new spare tire, Walmart has the Kumho tire that people have been buying for $44 w/ free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-121...tire/928153896

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Just throwing my 2 cents in regarding the jack. If you can find an original for a decent price I'd highly recommend going that route vs some other alternative. The OE jack has a little dimple in the center that mates up with the jack plates on the car and reduces the chance of the jack slipping out and the car falling down.

I'm not sure how much luck you will have finding something else that fits anyway... Our cars are so low that I can't even get a regular floor jack under the jack points. When changing a tire in my garage if I don't want to lift up the whole car using the frame I'll just get out the stock jack and raise up one corner. It's actually a pretty nice quality jack for what it is.

Oh, and anyone else is looking for a new spare tire, Walmart has the Kumho tire that people have been buying for $44 w/ free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-121...tire/928153896
    First time I'm seeing this, it's a direct-fit replacement for the OE spare?

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    First time I'm seeing this, it's a direct-fit replacement for the OE spare?
    Look for a junkyard spare from a Nissan Versa (Goodyear) and have the tire swapped to the stock spare rim. I did this and it looks 100% original, only decades newer. T125/70D15

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323229188295
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Here’s my new Kumho spare installed.

My VIN:    3937

I put a Bridgestone tire on a couple of seasons ago.

IMG_2381.jpgIMG_2379.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast