FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Suitable replacement compact jack

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    First time I'm seeing this, it's a direct-fit replacement for the OE spare?
    Hey Rich, yeah the tire size for the temporary spare is T125/70D15 (I think the T prefix means temporary). There are a few different manufacturers that make them but from what I've found the Kumho is the cheapest. It's around $67 on tire rack and $44 from Walmart.

From what I've read not all tire shops will install new rubber onto temp spare rims. I had Discount Tire do mine a couple of years ago and they also put some kind of bead sealant on to help prevent leaks.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You are correct, many tire shops, especially the chain ones, will refuse to do anything with the spare, temporary, tires. Bead sealer is a great idea especially if the rim is corroded and pitted. The Kumho may be the cheapest one but I hope it will work for you. I opted for the much more expensive Bridgestone. I have not heard many good things about most of the tires imported from the far east. I figured the Kumho wouldn't be much better than my 30 year old tire. Bridgestone, while it isn't the best tire you can buy, is, at least. an American brand that I have heard of and used in the past.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Between VINs

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Look for a junkyard spare from a Nissan Versa (Goodyear) and have the tire swapped to the stock spare rim. I did this and it looks 100% original, only decades newer. T125/70D15

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323229188295
    That level of detail on your part is really impressive; but putting an 8 year old used tire into the car just doesn't fulfill the mission I was going for (safety). I suppose these tires are generally hidden from UV and their life is prolonged, but I'm not willing to bet on it when brand new replacements are on the market.

My VIN:    Between VINs

My local tire shop wouldn't do it at first thinking it was an idiot spare; they told me to go back to the manufacturer and buy a new one. When I explained it was for a 35 year old collector car they relented and mounted it.

Kumho is a very well respected tire brand in the racing and street performance world. I didn't hesitate at all to put it on the DMCs spare wheel. They're not in the same group as Geostar, Sunny, Pegasus, etc.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Be careful buying this size tire on eBay. I know a 2010 is newer than an 81 and it's only a spare, but every single seller I emailed regarding the date on the tire couldn't (wouldn't) tell me what it was. If I'm spending money on a "new" tire I'd rather know what new means to the seller.

As for the jack, if you can't get an original then get an alternative cheap and weld a nut or similar on it to recreate the pin that goes into the jack plate. I've had to do this in the past.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I have not heard many good things about most of the tires imported from the far east. I figured the Kumho wouldn't be much better than my 30 year old tire.
    Kumho are Korean, and that they are even sold by Tire Rack speaks to a minimum level of quality. They may not be the best but they are fine, especially for a spare. Lots of supporting data.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    As for the jack, if you can't get an original then get an alternative cheap and weld a nut or similar on it to recreate the pin that goes into the jack plate. I've had to do this in the past.
    This seems to be the direction I'm heading. El cheapo scissor jack with an acorn nut mounted in the center.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Hey Rich, yeah the tire size for the temporary spare is T125/70D15 (I think the T prefix means temporary). There are a few different manufacturers that make them but from what I've found the Kumho is the cheapest. It's around $67 on tire rack and $44 from Walmart.

From what I've read not all tire shops will install new rubber onto temp spare rims. I had Discount Tire do mine a couple of years ago and they also put some kind of bead sealant on to help prevent leaks.
    Good info, thanks!

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    That level of detail on your part is really impressive; but putting an 8 year old used tire into the car just doesn't fulfill the mission I was going for (safety). I suppose these tires are generally hidden from UV and their life is prolonged, but I'm not willing to bet on it when brand new replacements are on the market.
    The one I found was never used, but you get the idea. I doubt I would ever use the spare anyway, but I’m sure an unused 6-8 year old spare is much better than an unused 37 year old spare (which some owners are still using!). There isn’t any guarantee a “new” Kuhmo spare off the shelf hasn’t been sitting there for 4 or 5 years either.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    My car never had the original tire jack. I figure it's time to start carrying one just in case but I'm not in the market for a $120 vintage artifact
    I just posted both types of OEM jacks in the For Sale Section HERE. One is 1/2 that price OBO (includes handle). The other is w/o handle. I like to get 1/2 vendor price for used stuff, but they are out of stock/NLA. I'm taking offers on anything....

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Oh, and anyone else is looking for a new spare tire, Walmart has the Kumho tire that people have been buying for $44 w/ free shipping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-121...tire/928153896

I just got the Kumho from Walmart.com as well. The issue I was running into is that my local tire shops (as well as WalMart) cannot mount the tire because of the size of their machines - the rims are too skinny. My quick fix = gave it to a neighbor who works at a motorcycle shop. Had it done in no time and I just owe him a 6 pack.

Just wanted to share for any others out there who can't find a shop to mount the tire to the rim - take it to a motorcycle shop. They probably wont be able to balance it but it is just a band-aid to get you home. At least it now holds air!
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast