FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official VR6 Mated to 997 5 Speed Tiptronic Swap

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    6sp G96 mocked up in the delorean frame.

I'm not going to use an additional adapter plate that would push the transaxle forward. Instead, I'll be replacing the adapter plate Porsche already used for that transmission.

In the end, I'll have to see how much clearance there is between the axles and the cradle. If necessary, I could end up pushing the entire engine and trans assembly rearward...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I'm not going to use an additional adapter plate that would push the transaxle forward. Instead, I'll be replacing the adapter plate Porsche already used for that transmission.

In the end, I'll have to see how much clearance there is between the axles and the cradle. If necessary, I could end up pushing the entire engine and trans assembly rearward...
    You're going to have to have to push it much more forward than the thickness of the adapter (1.5") to clear that transmission, and even then...

Just looking at the size of this the transmission. If you pushed everything 4 inches or so rearward, the transfer case at the end of the transmission is still going to be scraping the inside of the trailing arm.

I have had my hand in engine swapping several deloreans and explored the options of many different transaxles and I am telling you this will not fit without some pretty serious frame modifications. To the point it is not worth it (in my opinion).
    Last edited by Josh; 07-04-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Update

Got the engine today!

Still wrapped and on the pallet.
    IMG_20180710_1527521.jpg
    (Tire's a great choice huh?)

Will rebuild head and replace timing chains for sure. Will also pull crank and pistons to mic everything. Hopefully all checks out good.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Update:

Picked up transmission today in Jacksonville...

IMG_20180717_1632543.jpg

Engine is Apart

IMG_20180721_2223071.jpg

Honing marks are still faintly visible on the cylinder walls where the rings ride. Bare in mind, this is an engine that saw just under 200k...
    IMG_20180721_2223408.jpg

I will be removing springs and valves from head and will be sending it out to be decked and hot tanked. After that is said and done, I will be installing Ferrea valves and new 262 cams as the stockers are pitted.
    IMG_20180721_2224142.jpg

Tired stock pistons and rods will be tossed. New ones will be higher strength, and the pistons will have a CR of 8:1 (Final CR is 8.5:1 because I'm using the MK4 MLS headgasket).

Will post again when more progress is made.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Hey Rodolfo - how is the VR6 swap going?
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Hey Rodolfo - how is the VR6 swap going?
    Just got my engine back from the machine shop, and just bought a 1982 Mercedes 300SD Diesel. So not much progress.

Will be building it soon using wossner 8.5:1 pistons and forged rods, but I'm going to take my sweet time with it.

For fitment, I've measured as much as possible and have determined the tiptronic should fit. If needed, I'll notch the frame as the transaxle has a couple awkward corners. I have an audi bell to vr5 adapter plate that will mostly bolt to the 997 bellhousing. I'll just have to find a way to adapt the torque convertor to the flexplate. I'm thinking a pilot adapter and adapter ring sandwiched between torque converter and flexplate....

In any case I'll start updating when I gain some speed on this project.

Just got my engine back from the machine shop, .... So not much progress.
    That IS progress

I am sure you are aware of the SEO Motorsports / Delorean03 (Jeremiah) VR6 swap with a D automatic. IIRC not long after the swap Jeremiah started making plans for a beefed up auto D tranny and not long thereafter I believe he shifted (no pun intended) to manual transmission, like me. He may have some insight on VR6s + automatics.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    That IS progress

I am sure you are aware of the SEO Motorsports / Delorean03 (Jeremiah) VR6 swap with a D automatic. IIRC not long after the swap Jeremiah started making plans for a beefed up auto D tranny and not long thereafter I believe he shifted (no pun intended) to manual transmission, like me. He may have some insight on VR6s + automatics.
    If I run into issues, I'll check if he has any insight.

BTW, your dyno video pushed me to buy the VR6! I love just how nice Ed was able to get your car.

Now I wonder how much I can get for the stock automatic...

If I run into issues, I'll check if he has any insight.

BTW, your dyno video pushed me to buy the VR6! I love just how nice Ed was able to get your car.

Now I wonder how much I can get for the stock automatic...
    Yep - my VR6 engine swap was a total success. I get e-mails asking about Ed quite often so there is definitely a demand for his talent. I sold my stock auto for $1,000.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast