FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official VR6 Mated to 997 5 Speed Tiptronic Swap

My VIN:    Early

Talking Official VR6 Mated to 997 5 Speed Tiptronic Swap

Thought I'd make a new thread to have a clean start...

Update 1: Engine and transmission are out of car.
    IMG_20180628_2304378.jpg Goodbye Kjet!

Will soon create a thread in the for sale section as I part out all that is not needed...

Also have ordered a 2.8 VR6 12V out of a 2001 VW Golf. I will be rebuilding it when I receive it. Will shoot for 400hp with a turbo, but we'll see where I get...
    Screenshot_20180628-232123.jpgScreenshot_20180628-232114.jpg

Will be purchasing this beauty soon. Screenshot_20180628-232510.jpg
    It is the automatic tiptronic out of a Porsche 997 Carrera. It is a Mercedes built unit, and it is part of the 722.6xx family. This allows me to use a controller designed by http://ofgear.dk that doesn't require connection to the ecm.

Guess I'll be the 3rd VR6 swap?

BTW, LS swaps are just SO overrated.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I'm just going to go ahead and forgo a response to the LS comment

This looks like an awesome build. I'm excited at the prospect of you building the first automatic transmission-swapped car. To my knowledge, there haven't been any automatic transmission swapped cars that can still function as a true automatic. The only one I know that comes close is the Rover V8 engine'd time machine that has a tiptronic transmission, but I believe that it still has to be shifted manually.

The only question I have right now is regarding the transmission size. That transmission looks to be pretty long, and pretty wide (especially at the end). Have you had the chance to measure everything out to be sure it will fit? (these dimensions are the main things that myself, Josh, etc. have been constantly fighting) My concern is making sure the end will fit as it gets farther and farther into the "v" portion of the frame. You can always start modifying the frame, I'm just curious what you're already planning for.

Either way, best of luck, and keep the updates coming!

The length if fine, but if the width becomes a problem, I will just have to notch out and extend the frame rail on the passenger side. There is actually quite a bit of clearance between the frame and the tub for that type of mod. In any case, hopefully it fits without any frame modifications.

Also, I love LS DeLoreans, but IMHO, the LS is just a tad to big for the tiny DeLorean chassis.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 06-29-2018 at 10:20 AM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I dunno, I found that my LS fits the chassis pretty well. It really doesn't look out of place. That said, it's really cool to see such an unusual swap being done.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quick update

I've decided to use the cheaper Microsquirt system to control the VR6 using batch injection and the Ford EDIS coil pack. The microsquirt should integrate nicely with my Dakota Digital dash using their special BIM module for megasquirt controllers.

Anyways, I will need to learn more about gasoline tuning since I've only tuned common rail turbo diesels.

Scratching the standalone edis and microsquirt idea. With more research, I realized it would be more trouble than its worth to add an unnecessary 36-1 crank wheel to my setup.

In light of that, I'll be shelling out the $$ for the MS3 Pro Evo. And unlike the microsquirt, this unit allows me to use both an idle control actuator AND an electronic wastegate solenoid. I'll be using the built in bosch 60-2 crank wheel to time my spark with the ms3 pro.

IMHO, it's kind of unnecessary to use sequential injection, so I'll be using batch injection, but I'm still deciding whether I want to run a wasted spark or coil on plug sequential...

Transmission shifter has been chosen and purchased. It is a unit out of a 1997 Mercedes W202, and will talk directly to the control unit from ofgear.dk Screenshot_20180702-211143.jpg

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Diesel!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Anyways, I will need to learn more about gasoline tuning since I've only tuned common rail turbo diesels.
    Why not do a Turbo Diesel swap? You have the knowledge and you will definitely be the 1st. It would be totally badass!
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    Why not do a Turbo Diesel swap? You have the knowledge and you will definitely be the 1st. It would be totally badass!
    Believe me, I would love to, but then 400hp would be pipe dream, at least with an I4. Don't know of any I6 that will fit...

Anyways, the lift pump would have to be changed, the tank dropped, and the fuel inlet would have to be changed (diesel pumps have a wider spout). It's just not practical IMHO.

I specifically chose the VR6 because of its very compact design with the simplicity of a single head. It also is a very strong cast iron motor that is more than capable of 700hp if upgraded correctly. So, more room to grow.

Also, my cluster says "unleaded fuel only"... would hate to have a nice cluster that is wrong.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-02-2018 at 11:35 PM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    The length if fine, but if the width becomes a problem, I will just have to notch out and extend the frame rail on the passenger side. There is actually quite a bit of clearance between the frame and the tub for that type of mod. In any case, hopefully it fits without any frame modifications.

Also, I love LS DeLoreans, but IMHO, the LS is just a tad to big for the tiny DeLorean chassis.
    When properly completed, the LS(4) fits very well into the delorean chassis. Most maintenance and accessability is just as easy or easier than with the PRV.

Like I mentioned before, you are most certainly going to have to make some fairly frame modifications with that humongous transmission and retaining a reasonable driveshaft angle. I have the 6spd version sitting in a frame in my garage, it is a tight fit. That side differential shaft is going to give you problems.

EDIT, I looked at the picture of the transmission again. I am 100% confident it is not fitting in the delorean frame. That rear "transfer case" is much too large to fit where the frame funnels in. I am not trying to be a "hater" just passing some experience on to you.
    Last edited by Josh; 07-04-2018 at 01:51 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

6sp G96 mocked up in the delorean frame.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast