FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SPC Mustang II Adjustable Upper Control Arm Install

My VIN:    Early

SPC Mustang II Adjustable Upper Control Arm Install

I am installing Mustang II upper control arms from SPC. These do require reaming of steering knuckle. Upper taper is simply made to be an exact same size as the OE lower ball joint taper using your choice of 7 degree ball joint reamer. This setup is easily rebuildable and allows fine tuning for caster and camber.

SPC arms come with ball joints that are way too large, so 2x 97001 ball joints are needed.

Also, SPC arms use 5/8 ID bushings. SPC sells spacer adapters for bushings which are p/n 944505. 4 of them are needed.

Finally inner part of arm will hit frame if steel spacers between arm and frame are not used. I plan to use McMaster Carr 1/2"ID x 1"OD x 1"W spacers for forward part of arm and 1/2"ID x 1"OD x 1/2"W spacers for rear mount of arm to frame. Using 1/2"-20 x 12" bolts from McMaster to secure.

SPC Arms- 97260

Ball joints- 97001

Bushing spacers- 944505

These fit the stock 14” wheels. Will post pics once fully installed.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 11-05-2023 at 12:07 AM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    2706

To those reading this. This is not a Timeless Steel Garage through SPC Control arm kit. There are no mustang 2 components in my kit. My kit was designed and tested over the course of almost 2 years and is backed by SPC. This posted by this gentleman above ^^^^is not. SPC sells the real kit exclusively through me.
    Last edited by powerline84; 11-05-2023 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    To those reading this. This is not a Timeless Steel Garage through SPC Control arm kit. There are no mustang 2 components in my kit. My kit was designed and tested over the course of almost 2 years and is backed by SPC. This posted by this gentleman above ^^^^is not.
    Did I mention you?

What is problem here?

Edit: And I first messaged you and figured you were done as I got no response. So I decided to DIY my own setup. Uses same 97001 ball joint that you use in your setup.

At the end of the day, I’m allowed to post what I want on custom setups that I run. I am not selling anything. Rather, I’m making it easy for folks to run whatever they choose.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 11-05-2023 at 08:11 AM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Got some parts today to do a good test fit, and it clears frame. I'm currently waiting on steering knuckles to get it all together.

IMG_9394.jpg

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Got some parts today to do a good test fit, and it clears frame. I'm currently waiting on steering knuckles to get it all together.

IMG_9394.jpg
    Is that spacer plate on the body original to your car? Never seen that one. I see you have an "early" VIN.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Is that spacer plate on the body original to your car? Never seen that one. I see you have an "early" VIN.
    That plate above upper shock bolt?

800 series vin so yeah very early.

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    That plate above upper shock bolt?

800 series vin so yeah very early.
    Hmmm you learn something new every day. The later plates don't go up the body, they are flat with a flange in the edge that follows the body contour upwards for only a centimeter.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Here is the newer style. I had a bolt and nut in it to hold it in place while the panel bond cured. The front body bolt runs through It and goes into the shock tower.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Still test fitting etc. But so far, RH side is together. Clearance between forward part of control arm and rim is very close, but that could be increased by using a slightly shorter 3/4" spacer in front rather than the 1" long I have installed.

IMG_9452.jpg
    IMG_9458.jpg
    IMG_9457.jpg
    IMG_9459.jpg

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

Are the ball joints that come with the SPC arms regular mustang ii ball joints?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast