FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Official VR6 Mated to 997 5 Speed Tiptronic Swap

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Well, I mocked the tiptronic in the frame. I'll have to notch the frame to allow for more clearance, but thats on hold until after a wedding I have to attend on May 4th. I'll just make a triangular notch below the trailing arm mount, bend that triangle out, and weld additional pieces to bridge it. Just have to decide whether I should buy a stick or MIG welder...

The engine is ready to assemble too. Only thing I've been fretting is aligning the trans to the engine. I'll have to do that on a day I'm free and focused enough to properly map the measurements. Not knowing CAD makes things a bit more challenging for me...
    Interested to see pictures of the mockup.

FOr welding the frame, and most other hobby projects it is recommended to get a MIG welder. Welding 16ga sheet metal with an arc welder is damn near impossible.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Interested to see pictures of the mockup.

FOr welding the frame, and most other hobby projects it is recommended to get a MIG welder. Welding 16ga sheet metal with an arc welder is damn near impossible.
    Mockup was only temporary as I did not want to leave the tranmission down there. The pan is a sideways pan, so it's hard to stabilize the damn thing.

Also, yeah I was definitely leaning towards MIG. I've welded before, but it was for fun, and didn't look very pretty. I'm going to have to practice a bit before I'm ready to weld on the delorean...

As a side note, I'll be receiving my MS3 Pro Evo with 8' harness. I wish I could find a base tune for the vr6. Oh well, I'll probably bring the car to a professional VW tuner with a dynamometer. I have 0 experience with gas tuning. Now if it was diesel, then I'd be all set...
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-18-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    3299

As a side note, I'll be receiving my MS3 Pro Evo with 8' harness. I wish I could find a base tune for the vr6. Oh well, I'll probably bring the car to a professional VW tuner with a dynamometer. I have 0 experience with gas tuning. Now if it was diesel, then I'd be all set...
    Ping Henrik on here. He has MS3 Pro. His base file may help you. I am running MS3, which is a different CPU, and I'd hate to give you my file only for it to fry your cpu/cause inadvertent damage to something.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

IMG_20190418_2210460~2.jpgIMG_20190418_2210400~2.jpg

It's a monster, but it will fit nicely once the frame is notched under the right trailing arm mount. Plenty of clearance available for cv axles.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Forgive me if I didnt see this posted but are you doing this project in TX or Naples? If Naples I know a tuner with a dyno in Ft. Myers.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Forgive me if I didnt see this posted but are you doing this project in TX or Naples? If Naples I know a tuner with a dyno in Ft. Myers.
    I removed the prv in Texas, but I'm currently doing the rest in Naples.

You can go ahead and post or PM his info if you want.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I removed the prv in Texas, but I'm currently doing the rest in Naples.

You can go ahead and post or PM his info if you want.
    I live in Naples. I would love to see the project! PM incoming....
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Ping Henrik on here. He has MS3 Pro. His base file may help you. I am running MS3, which is a different CPU, and I'd hate to give you my file only for it to fry your cpu/cause inadvertent damage to something.
    What happened Rodolfo? OH NO.... you were going to a wedding and then the updates stopped.... it all makes sense now

Seriously, are there any updates on the VR6 swap?

4+ years later... I would be more than happy to share my MS3-Pro file. Just PM me with your email.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    What happened Rodolfo? OH NO.... you were going to a wedding and then the updates stopped.... it all makes sense now

Seriously, are there any updates on the VR6 swap?

4+ years later... I would be more than happy to share my MS3-Pro file. Just PM me with your email.
    Wasn't feasible as transmission required frame mods, and the only welder I knew to trust for such a task passed away.

With that said, I have since converted to manual, so the swap is back on table for the future . I also pre wired the MS3 Pro for future upgrades . Now I just need to somehow make an adapter plate to UN1.

I still have the parts to build a 12v have the cylinder head, low comp pistons, rings, H beam rods, chains etc. need a block, crank, and cam is all.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Now I just need to somehow make an adapter plate to UN1.
    I have Ed Ghesquiere's adapter plate drawing in Solidworks format if you need it.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4