FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Official VR6 Mated to 997 5 Speed Tiptronic Swap

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    That IS progress

I am sure you are aware of the SEO Motorsports / Delorean03 (Jeremiah) VR6 swap with a D automatic. IIRC not long after the swap Jeremiah started making plans for a beefed up auto D tranny and not long thereafter I believe he shifted (no pun intended) to manual transmission, like me. He may have some insight on VR6s + automatics.
    Yeah heres my advice on that: don't. Complete waste of time. The stock auto trans started slipping clutches at about 8 PSI. Even at 5 PSI, it was just a matter of time.

You are correct. We are about to pull the auto trans out and put the 5 speed in this weekend. We being HillBillyDMC here and myself. We did all the 5 speed upgrades that you did, Henrik. Some suspension upgrades too to include the billet aluminum LCAs and polyurethane bushings from DMCNW. I wont derail this thread anymore than that.

I do have a completely unused master gasket kit for the 3 speed auto by a company named Aldo they sell kits that are on par with modern GM transmission components. Once we did that to my auto trans, one of the metal pressure drums cracked, and that was it for me. Converting to 5 speed manual and never looking back. We guesstimate one more month and itll be ready for a test drive. That is, if we dont have any "oh shit" moments.....
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Yeah heres my advice on that: don't. Complete waste of time. The stock auto trans started slipping clutches at about 8 PSI. Even at 5 PSI, it was just a matter of time.

You are correct. We are about to pull the auto trans out and put the 5 speed in this weekend. We being HillBillyDMC here and myself. We did all the 5 speed upgrades that you did, Henrik. Some suspension upgrades too to include the billet aluminum LCAs and polyurethane bushings from DMCNW. I wont derail this thread anymore than that.

I do have a completely unused master gasket kit for the 3 speed auto by a company named Aldo they sell kits that are on par with modern GM transmission components. Once we did that to my auto trans, one of the metal pressure drums cracked, and that was it for me. Converting to 5 speed manual and never looking back. We guesstimate one more month and itll be ready for a test drive. That is, if we dont have any "oh shit" moments.....
    TBH, I never thought of putting the stock auto behind anything with more power. That's just asking for trouble! Anyways, good luck with the manual swap.

I'm going to do some assembly on my engine soon ("soon" seems like never for me). So hopefully I can get to it and make plans to adapt the flex plate to the convertor.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Rodolfo,

I put the 4HP22E Porsche trans in the 97 Delorean Time Machine over 20 years. Had to build my own controller.

I am doing this conversion again in the Iron Man Delorean with 5.0L Aluminum V8.

What your D needs is full size power windows. I put these in the 2015 electric D, the 97 D Time machine and now the Iron Man Delorean.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    I put the 4HP22E Porsche trans in the 97 Delorean Time Machine over 20 years. Had to build my own controller.

I am doing this conversion again in the Iron Man Delorean with 5.0L Aluminum V8.
    Looks like the 4hp22 has a similar setup to my mercedes built 772.6. You could use a 722.6 in your swap as well, and there is a controller already made for it...

What your D needs is full size power windows.
    I'm hooked if they use real glass. Plexi is a no go for me haha.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Looks like the 4hp22 has a similar setup to my mercedes built 772.6.
    I'm curious to know more about this... Is there a thread on your transmission?
    Last edited by Farrar; 03-20-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: LOL typo
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Rodolfo,

I too would prefer real glass, but at $50,000 a car for custom glass, I decided on Lexan. Lexan is polycarbonate with an embedded
    silicone hardening layer on the outside surfaces. This is the same material required for the windshields in race car. I figured if its good
    enough for cars going 250 MPH, it's probably OK.

After over 20 years in the 97 Delorean Time machine, they still are great.

Just finished installing the passenger door mirror with the LED turn signals. I have decided to use all the extra wires in the doors for
    a new speaker and get rid of the ones in the dash.

Bob

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Rodolfo,

What your D needs is full size power windows. I put these in the 2015 electric D, the 97 D Time machine and now the Iron Man Delorean.

Bob
    I just have to ask, are you ever planning to sell a kit or something for these at any point? You've been stating for years that this is an upgrade that people need in their cars. If I recall correctly, I saw your car at DCS 2004 with these and was enamored with them. I even expressed interest in doing the modification 10 years ago, but to my knowledge this is not something you've ever actually sold. Are you planning to make it available?

Delorean full size power windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I just have to ask, are you ever planning to sell a kit or something for these at any point? You've been stating for years that this is an upgrade that people need in their cars. If I recall correctly, I saw your car at DCS 2004 with these and was enamored with them. I even expressed interest in doing the modification 10 years ago, but to my knowledge this is not something you've ever actually sold. Are you planning to make it available?
    I considered doing this about 15 years ago. I posted to get a request of people who would want to buy a kit. If I got 10 people to commit it would have made it economically viable. However, no one was willing to commit. Unfortunately, these are all custom parts and consequently quite expensive. Custom H channel, customs aluminum bending, powder coating, custom Lexan windows, custom motors, etc. Parts cost >$3000

I did make enough parts to convert 3 cars, back then. Mainly for my cars, and possibly to sell one. Two of these are now in the 2015 Electric Delorean and the Iron Man Delorean. The other is in a display door, that people can try at Delorean Weekend.

I am considering selling the display doors in the near future. Whom ever buys them, will either have to disassemble them and install them in their car or swap doors. The SS on the doors needs straightening.

Unfortunately, the owner of the shop that made the Lexan windows (and race car windshields) has retired. I'm sure there is another firm that could do this.

I made a video of how to install these windows. It is on the delorean weekend website. It is about 45 minutes long.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Any updates?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Any updates?
    Well, I mocked the tiptronic in the frame. I'll have to notch the frame to allow for more clearance, but thats on hold until after a wedding I have to attend on May 4th. I'll just make a triangular notch below the trailing arm mount, bend that triangle out, and weld additional pieces to bridge it. Just have to decide whether I should buy a stick or MIG welder...

The engine is ready to assemble too. Only thing I've been fretting is aligning the trans to the engine. I'll have to do that on a day I'm free and focused enough to properly map the measurements. Not knowing CAD makes things a bit more challenging for me...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast