FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Help with Dave Mckeens Awesome upgrades please...

Help with Dave Mckeens Awesome upgrades please...

Hi Everyone,

I have installed Dave Mckeen"S PLUG AND PLAY relays, ecU, and fan fail units and i absolutely love them!
    He makes some really great stuff I would love to put in operation his LED upgraded panel, otterstat, and bus adaptation. I also would love to update my melted but working fusebox.
    I am a bit embarrassed but I don't have the confidence or experience to make the wiring modifications required and for that matter replacing a fusebox with a better unit.
    I can do a bit of mechanical fixes to my delorean but i just don't dare mess with my delorean and turn it into a non - working mess with my inexperience with electrical systems attempting to do things which are intimidating to me. I would much rather pay for the job to be done right.
    Does anyone know a repair Delorean experienced automotive shop on the east coast which would gladly replace my fusebox and install some of Dave Mackeen's upgrades? ( electronic otterstat, LED PANEL UPGRADE ) LOCATED on the east coast... I live in Maine and would have no problem with driving it down for proper service. I would also ship my car if the job would take more than a 3 days or so to complete.
    Thank you

John

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Rob Grady, at PJ Grady on Long Island, NY, is relatively close to you. He has an excellent reputation in the Delorean Community, and I would have zero issues trusting my vehicle with him if I was you.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

jack,

Thank you very much for the info

John

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jcronin4461 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I have installed Dave Mckeen"S PLUG AND PLAY relays, ecU, and fan fail units and i absolutely love them!
    He makes some really great stuff I would love to put in operation his LED upgraded panel, otterstat, and bus adaptation. I also would love to update my melted but working fusebox.
    I am a bit embarrassed but I don't have the confidence or experience to make the wiring modifications required and for that matter replacing a fusebox with a better unit.
    I can do a bit of mechanical fixes to my delorean but i just don't dare mess with my delorean and turn it into a non - working mess with my inexperience with electrical systems attempting to do things which are intimidating to me. I would much rather pay for the job to be done right.
    Does anyone know a repair Delorean experienced automotive shop on the east coast which would gladly replace my fusebox and install some of Dave Mackeen's upgrades? ( electronic otterstat, LED PANEL UPGRADE ) LOCATED on the east coast... I live in Maine and would have no problem with driving it down for proper service. I would also ship my car if the job would take more than a 3 days or so to complete.
    Thank you

John
    Hi John,
    I think you should tackle the melted fuse box yourself. Aside from the fact that it is an important upgrade, there is a (pardon the expression) fool proof albeit tedious way to do it: First of all, it comes with good instructions. Secondly, if you turn on the ignition after each wire you move over you would know immediately if you did something wrong and which wire it was. It is pretty time consuming though so the one thing I would recommend is that you remove the passenger seat and put in a foot stool to sit on (your back will thank you!). Don't drive with a melted fuse box! I lost my headlights one dark night and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Owning a Delorean is all about getting to know the car and learning how to fix things. As long as you take your time (and maybe even document your steps) you'll be fine.

/ Henrik
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

While this forum encourages everyone to do their own work, some are intimidated by electrical. If you know your limitations there is no problem asking for additional help. A mistake doing the fuse block can be costly and it could take more time to find and fix any problems you caused then to actually do the swap. The downside in getting your car to PJ Grady is that he will probably find a LOT of other things to fix while it is in his shop. Not because he looks for them or he needs the work, that's just the nature of how it happens.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I have always been a proponent of working smarter. If someone makes 500 bucks a day then taking a day off to "do it yourself" and save 200 bucks is not smart. Doing it on your time off from work may push more important things(such as time with the family) back. Screw those who look down on people who pay to have work done. To each his own.

If however one finds joy and spending time with friends and family doing the work themselves(whether it's cheaper or smarter) then go for it. As I said to each his own.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Look at Michael, posting something profound... (J/K).
    I totally agree. There are lots of automotive work I still love doing myself but, some things I'd just as soon pay an accomplished mechanic to do.
    I've been a machinist since 1981 so, if it comes down to repairing/re-making a part I've got it covered.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Look at Michael, posting something profound... (J/K).
    I totally agree. There are lots of automotive work I still love doing myself but, some things I'd just as soon pay an accomplished mechanic to do.
    George
    I agree with both George and Michael (does that mean I 3rd it?). Many/most things I like to do myself. But some I don't even attempt anymore.

For example, I used to do my own brakes. I'd make a trip to the parts store, buy what I thought I needed. then start the job on a Saturday morning. I'd end up taking about the whole day, jacking/blocking the car, working on one wheel at a time, busting a knuckle or two, making a trip back to parts store for more stuff I forgot, and then to get the discs (or drums) turned. Then wash up to eat lunch, then back to work, lowing one wheel, jacking again for the next wheel. When done, it's time to bleed, bleed, bleed. Then wash up again and test drive. All and all, I'd spend hours sweating in a hot garage, thirsty, filthy, knuckles bleeding, and that's if I did the job right. And the lawn that needs mowing got neglected another Saturday.

Then I realized I could drive over to Brake-Check, and for 99 buck-a-roos (per axel), and maybe an hour and a half wait time in their waiting room with A/C, free coffee and cable TV, they'd do the job. And I didn't even have to get dirty, or make several trips after buying the wrong parts, or whatever. Then of course, they throw in a warranty. Ok already...lesson learned!

Enough about brakes, this is not a Brake-Check commercial. I've learned this lesson about other things too. I don't think I'm bragging when I say I am smart enough to NOT take on jobs I know I can't do. like transmissions. Now don't get me wrong, I salute all you wizards out there that just automatically can do tranny work, like drop one, rebuild it, and have it back in the car in half a day, and do the job done right. That's great, but that's something I'd leave to a professional, and pay their price.

Thomas

Last edited by Citizen; 07-04-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here