FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye-Bye angle drive!

My VIN:    10270

It's a pretty simple to use type of hall effect sensor that works on 5-24v, rated up to 125C, and detects ferrous metal:

http://m.littelfuse.com/~/media/elec...asheet.pdf.pdf

I have these on my crank & cam pickups too.

The ring came from an eBay / Amazon seller and was only $14. Mounting bracket is just some bent up some aluminum stock and fastened to the trans via an unused threaded hole. I strategically hacksawed the ring in half so I didn't have to dismount the CV axle. I just eyeballed the air gap as the angle isn't totally perpendicular and it worked the first time out.

A setup like this can supplement the Speedbox or perhaps interface to a less featureful speedo driver motor. But the Speedbox has some quality features and now Josh has taken the testing leap for all of us
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

The issue is not the speed sensor (in my opinion). It is the lack of electronic speedometer.
    Sure you have a speed signal, but it can only easily be input to a secondary device (ecu, cruise control unit)

This speedometer driver is an easy way out of both cases.

There was a gentleman that used a VW Golf (or similar) speed sensor and screwed it in place of the angle drive. But as mentioned this is only half the battle.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

What we need is to find a speedo that could be put behind the D's speedo faceplate. The trouble I found was finding a modern speedo/drive motor/etc that accepted the D's needles.

Air-core motors are often used to drive speedometers and tachs and an Arduino can be used to provide the logic (clicks to speedometer readout). But again. I didn't make progress relative to reusing the D's needle. It would be easy enough to change out the needles but that wouldn't be authentic.

I also was not happy with what I found relative to creating a VSS signal. Above would be perfect.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I'm interested in all of this. A quick search found another seller of the ring for $38. I always have trouble finding this stuff; I never know what search terms to use. I wouldn't have known to look for a ring from a Porsche, or what kind of connector the speedo cable needed to get the box Josh is using.

-- Joe

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

And I thought I over-complicate things, you two put me to shame!

Haha, I love it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10270

This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQ29PAO

If you wanted to be real economical, replace the CV bolts with allen head bolts (to maintain an even air gap) and just point the sensor at the bolt heads. 6 pulses/revolution would still give decent enough resolution. Or rotate the hex bolts so the flats have the same alignment

But yes Josh is right, electronic speed pickup is only half the equation and certainly the easier / cheaper side to make happen. With a ring & sensor add-on the lost-GPS issue is resolved. I don't believe the Speedbox has any sort of accelerometer or the instructions would be picky about mounting orientation.

Principally I installed the sensor so I could log speed and have real-time power / economy calculations and set per-gear boost targets, but can now read vehicle speed via CAN bus gauge so I have my 'away from home angle drive failure' sorted. The AD on my car will be the last - it'll be all electronic from here on out.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

According the speedbox's website, the unit can receive GPS signals, VSS signals, and CAN-bus signals. If the GPS dropout really became a huge problem, you could always swap over to a different input methodology. Looks like Dakota Digital makes a similar product with similar inputs, though it would appear the dakot digital unit is a lot larger and bulkier than the speedbox one.

With that said, is the tunnel dropout a big problem for some folks?

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    With that said, is the tunnel dropout a big problem for some folks?
    I would think the benefit of having your cluster speedo working would be that it'll also spin your odometer and tripmeter. Having your odometer and tripmeter showing miles traveled lets you at the very least see what kind of gas mileage you're getting (and realizing you've got some sort of problem when that mileage gets out of whack, i.e. troubleshooting help). Like an extra layer of protection for trouble if your fuel sender dies, for example.

Using the speed shown on a regular GPS or a phone app or the BTTF looking speedo box will tell you what speed you're going, but won't do much for your odometer reading. Personally, I like seeing the odo move along with the speedo.

If the signal drops out for a little while in a tunnel or when you first get in the car and it hasn't acquired a signal yet, it doesn't matter much for the driver not knowing exactly how fast they are going for that brief amount of time. My concern would be the odometer not counting in those times. Again, not for some legality or carfax business if you go to sell your car some day and there's concern over whether the miles shown are accurate. I simply like having the odo working with the speedo.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

How quiet/noisy is the above unit? I've read up on other similar units (No GPS) and some indicated that it was noisy.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Josh said he cant hear it while driving, but his exhaust isnt very quiet I think he said.

I think its a awesome solve for one of the longest lingering Delorean problem. This box should also be perfect for my engine swapped '75 volvo, no room to get a cable between the larger than original trans and tunnel to power the stock mechanical speedo. The new trans (old Ford T5) has an electronic VSS on the tail housing that should work great to give a solid signal to the Speedbox.

I wonder if you have a VSS input and GPS input to that box, which signal gets priority if the two disagree? Say if I was doing a second gear burnout but the car wasnt actually moving.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast