FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye-Bye angle drive!

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    [...]
    I wonder if you have a VSS input and GPS input to that box, which signal gets priority if the two disagree? Say if I was doing a second gear burnout but the car wasnt actually moving.
    According to the Speedbox manual the GPS signal will override other signals - VSS or CAN. So, if GPS is available the speed will be taken from that. Only when GPS is not available (before satellite lock, in tunnels, etc) the speed is taken from vehicle sensors.
    During a burnout with good GPS signal the speedometer will actually show zero if the car is not moving.
    It seems to be a very cleverly designed piece of hardware. I like it a lot!
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    3294

I mounted the GPS antenna on top of the radio bracket (out of sight when the console is installed).
    When I mounted my GPS tracking unit in my car, it came with both a cellular antenna and a GPS antenna. The GPS antenna was just a small flat square shaped gizmo with adhesive foam on the back side. I was able to mount both antennas UNDER the plastic grill below the windshield wipers. It has a clear view of the sky and you can't see it from outside the car. Just wanted to throw that out there as an alternative location if the top of the radio bracket doesn't work out.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Another benefit of having a VSS signal, given the right radio, is speed variable volume. I like that feature on modern cars/radios.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Can you attach the vehicle’s existing speedo cable from the speedometer to the Speedbox (unplug it from the Labmda counter and attach it to the Speedbox)?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Can you attach the vehicle’s existing speedo cable from the speedometer to the Speedbox (unplug it from the Labmda counter and attach it to the Speedbox)?
    No, as it has a different end on the Speedbox. The speedbox comes with the proper cable though.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    No, as it has a different end on the Speedbox. The speedbox comes with the proper cable though.
    Thank you. I guess my next question is how tough is it to get to the back of the speedometer? I noticed my needle swinging all over the place the other day and this Speedbox looks like the way to go. Have you been happy with yours?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Thank you. I guess my next question is how tough is it to get to the back of the speedometer? I noticed my needle swinging all over the place the other day and this Speedbox looks like the way to go. Have you been happy with yours?
    You need to remove the binnacle to get to the back of the speedo (easily)

I have only had it on my car for about 1500 miles but it has worked well so far.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You need to remove the binnacle to get to the back of the speedo (easily)

I have only had it on my car for about 1500 miles but it has worked well so far.
    Thanks

I’m installing this unit now and will probably do a write up on it, but I wanted to mention that I don’t think mounting this to the Lambda counter bracket will work. The Speedbox speedo cable is too long.

I’ve figured out an alternative mounting solution. I’ll have a write up soon. Thanks Josh for bringing this product to my attention. I think this is a great alternative to the failure prone angle drive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast