FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front brake squeal clips orientation

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Front brake squeal clips orientation

Does any one know the proper Orientation of these clips?DBB2D5E4-DEA6-4BD0-8928-C6F03C32A541.jpg

For the front brakes. They are different than the ones I took off the car.

Thanks in advance!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Does any one know the proper Orientation of these clips?DBB2D5E4-DEA6-4BD0-8928-C6F03C32A541.jpg

For the front brakes. They are different than the ones I took off the car.

Thanks in advance!
    Does this picture help:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Does this picture help:

Those look like what I took off. The new ones I got are different

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Those look like what I took off. The new ones I got are different
    Oh, sorry. It's been a while since I did the brakes. Hopefully someone else that has installed theses particular clips can post a picture. They look familiar, like ones I used on a different car. But I don't want to lead you astray by guessing.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    3937

First thing to come to mind was that maybe those are for the rears. I don't think they are though. I also don't think those are going to work on our cars. I can see where the studs would go through the little half loops, however, for that lower triangular part to go on one side of the pad or the other, to me it would have to interfere and so couldn't. If it were clipped over the pad side, then it would be between the pad and rotor surface and that's no good. If it is flipped the other way, that triangular part would be getting pushed on by the piston against the back side of the pad, and that doesn't make any sense.

Where did you get these and what kind of car's brakes were they advertised for?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

What Dana posted are the original girling clips. No longer available for some reason.

What the OP posted is a new style “Will fits”

Installation looks like this this photo sent to me by Suzy @ DMCMW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    6472

I don't think my brakes had these clips. No wonder they squeal sometimes. Although, looking at the parts diagram for the front brakes, I don't see them pictured or mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    What Dana posted are the original girling clips. No longer available for some reason.

What the OP posted is a new style “Will fits”

Installation looks like this this photo sent to me by Suzy @ DMCMW
    Ah yes, they definitely look familiar. I can't recall the car I had that used this style, but they worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    I don't think my brakes had these clips. No wonder they squeal sometimes. Although, looking at the parts diagram for the front brakes, I don't see them pictured or mentioned.
    Yeah, they are the last item on the DMC front brake list, part # 119005 called "brake hardware kit":
    http://store.delorean.com/p-7419-bra...re-kit-fr.aspx

These are what I got. As Dennis mentioned, I don't know if the style of clip changed in the last 3 years since I did mine. You can see the kit pictured on the lower left in this picture:

Last edited by DMC-81; 07-08-2018 at 04:45 AM.
    Dana

I got the new style clips in a front brake hardware kit. My calipers had the original style on them, I cleaned them and put them back on with the new pads.
    I just overhauled the front brakes, rebuilt the calipers, stainless steel pistons, new pads, and hardware (my pad pins were bent and one had a flat head screw head? ) New stainless flexable lines as well, had the original lines, 37 years old they probably starting to collapse, new rotors, and front wheel bearings.
    And you're right there is no mention of the squeal clips in the parts manual, or any good pics of how they should be installed for that matter.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The most important part to keep the squealing sequestered is the shims.

The spring clips are just there to stop rattle/clicking. Before I had them Installed, I would sometimes here a subtle eek,eek,eek........ while driving at slow speeds through parking lots with the window down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast