FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Hard Line From Accumulator to Filter

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Replacing Hard Line From Accumulator to Filter

Is there an easy way to replace that line without lifting the body from the frame or am I asking for serious trouble?

The goal is to make changing the fuel filter a more simple task because the elbow fitting at the bottom of the filter with the hard line's press fit into it drives me crazy. I usually end up disconnecting the main line from the distributor and ultimately unthreading the filter at the elbow and leaving the hardline connected to the elbow.

I'm considering a stainless braided line from accumulator to the filter from a vendor but A) it's a larger diameter so I'm not sure about installation and B) not sure if it'll change anything with the fuel/rest pressure but I seriously doubt that.

Thanks.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Get the new elbow from DPI. I just installed it and it works flawlessly. I couldn't get my stock elbow to stop leaking. The DPI one, went on smooth and tightened with little effort. http://www.deloreanindustries.com/27-fuel-filter-kit/

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Get the new elbow from DPI. I just installed it and it works flawlessly. I couldn't get my stock elbow to stop leaking. The DPI one, went on smooth and tightened with little effort. http://www.deloreanindustries.com/27-fuel-filter-kit/
    Thanks for that. It looks like cutting the hardline is required. Do you have pics of the install and the setup? I'd love to see what the overall job looks like.

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Thanks for that. It looks like cutting the hardline is required. Do you have pics of the install and the setup? I'd love to see what the overall job looks like.
    You do have to cut the very end of the hard line to remove the compression fitting. Just use a small Pipe cutter, I got mine at Lowes Hardware. This also cleans up the end of the line because mine was no longer a "O" shape from being compressed.

Install the fitting into the filter, It has a sealing washer on it, Then when you get under the car make sure the bracket is installed on the filter, slide the new compression nut on to the hard line mate the 90 fitting and the new style compression fitting to the line. note, this new one doesn't fit over the line it fits against the end of the line. Then tighten. I have read how the stock 90 fitting you seem to need super human strength to tighten. This one you don't, or at least I didn't. I got it tight but no where near as tight as the stock one that I attempted to put back on and it just leaked.
    Once tight, Hook up your upper line and make sure that is good and tight. Then reinstall the bracket to the frame. TEST FOR LEAKS!! I ran my car for 5-10 min in the garage then shut it off, then repeated, before it took it for a short drive, then home, checked it again, dry as a bone.
    I will Take some pictures for you this evening. so you can see the final install and how much line had to be cut off. It was less than a 1/2 inch.

You do have to cut the very end of the hard line to remove the compression fitting. Just use a small Pipe cutter, I got mine at Lowes Hardware. This also cleans up the end of the line because mine was no longer a "O" shape from being compressed.

Install the fitting into the filter, It has a sealing washer on it, Then when you get under the car make sure the bracket is installed on the filter, slide the new compression nut on to the hard line mate the 90 fitting and the new style compression fitting to the line. note, this new one doesn't fit over the line it fits against the end of the line. Then tighten. I have read how the stock 90 fitting you seem to need super human strength to tighten. This one you don't, or at least I didn't. I got it tight but no where near as tight as the stock one that I attempted to put back on and it just leaked.
    Once tight, Hook up your upper line and make sure that is good and tight. Then reinstall the bracket to the frame. TEST FOR LEAKS!! I ran my car for 5-10 min in the garage then shut it off, then repeated, before it took it for a short drive, then home, checked it again, dry as a bone.
    I will Take some pictures for you this evening. so you can see the final install and how much line had to be cut off. It was less than a 1/2 inch.
    Thanks for the great writeup! And if you have time for some pics, that'd be awesome.

Alex Abdalla

IMG_4293.jpgIMG_4295.jpg

I apologize its not the best pics. but you can see the new 90 installed and it was 3/4" of pipe I had to cut off. Only because the compression fitting would not come off the hard line. Whole job took about 30 min. if you need any further pics let me know.
    Last edited by hippieman9; 06-24-2018 at 07:40 PM.

IMG_4293.jpgIMG_4295.jpg

I apologize its not the best pics. but you can see the new 90 installed and it was 3/4" of pipe I had to cut off. Only because the compression fitting would not come off the hard line. Whole job took about 30 min. if you need any further pics let me know.
    Thanks for taking the time to post those pics. They explain perfectly what the setup is like and I'm sold. Thanks again!

Alex Abdalla

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post those pics. They explain perfectly what the setup is like and I'm sold. Thanks again!
    No problem! Glad I could help.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Did you have to use teflon tape for any of the threads? I'm in the middle of this job (just cut the fuel line) and want to make sure I do this right the first time.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Did you have to use teflon tape for any of the threads? I'm in the middle of this job (just cut the fuel line) and want to make sure I do this right the first time.
    No, I didn't use any Teflon tape. The only place you can use it is the fitting from the elbow to the filter, but that has the sealing washer on it too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast