FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Faulty fuel filter?

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Faulty fuel filter?

I purchased a new fuel filter and copper washers for all my fuel lines a couple of weeks ago from Josh at DPI in an effort to resolve some leaking connections. I torqued everything down to spec, but the new fuel filter had a leak coming from the top. Thinking that the banjo bolt wasn't tight enough, I cranked on it really good. To my surprise, upon testing it again, fuel was coming out even faster than the first test.

Baffled, I removed the filter again to make sure I had the washers on the top and bottom of the fuel line, which I did. I reassembled everything, but it continued to pour out.

This time upon inspection, I discovered the real cause: the fuel filter is leaking from the top lip where the body molds to the top and not from the banjo bolt. My question is, did I cause the body of the filter to separate when I was putting it in the car, or was this a faulty filter all along? Anyone else have a fuel filter leak like that?
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    3757

I would say it was just a bad filter...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post
    I would say it was just a bad filter...
    +1, I haven't had a bad fuel filter, however, and although relatively rare, I have had a few parts over my years wrenching on cars defective "right out of the box". I would call the Vendor.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Over tightening will break the top free. Especially if you are holding the bottom while tightening top etc. it doesn't take much to tighten these. Quarter turn past tight is all it needs. Is the top distorted from tightening?
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10353

I didn't get mine from DPI but I can add that these filters are a pain! Just to get the lower connection to stop leaking I added pipe thread (not advised apparently) and then the whole filter bent from torquing the fitting. Thankfully no leaks now.

I suspect you may have over tightened and broke the fitting, I'm surprised I didn't either though. Possibly a weakened/defective filter, hopefully Josh can send you a new one!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Just in case you are trying to get your car mobile quickly, here are 3 part numbers to check at your local auto parts store, in order of quality (IMO):

Bosch 0-450-905-401
    AC Delco GF519
    Fram G3747

...from this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?93...Crossover-List

I have not heard good reviews about Fram oil filters and therefore would not put one on my cars, but I don't know if the same thing applies to their fuel filters.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Over tightening will break the top free. Especially if you are holding the bottom while tightening top etc. it doesn't take much to tighten these. Quarter turn past tight is all it needs. Is the top distorted from tightening?
    The body of the unit does not appear to be distorted, but it must be if it's leaking. I'll place an order for a new one and be sure not to over tighten or to tighten while holding the bottom.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/