FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Early Steering wheel

My VIN:    2245

Early Steering wheel

Hello everyone, I've been looking for an early steering wheel a long while to no avail. It's essentially the steering wheel before the tooling was modified so that the wheel could take a leather cover. Hopefully someone here has one they're willing to part with. I can't believe how difficult it was to find pictures of one, here are some I grabbed from another thread. Also a video with one in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbQW2-H69x0disassembly_10.jpg
    Attached Images

My VIN:    Midproduction

I have an extra steering wheel, but I'm not sure I can visualize any difference between OEM steering wheels.

My VIN:    891, 1045

Got a better pic of what you're looking for? I have a steering wheel for sale that I think is what you're looking for. It has leather-grain molded into the foam/rubber grip but there are a few pieces of the wheel missing. Shoot me your e-mail address if you'd like pics of it.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    Sorry to derail, but this has me wondering...

When was this change done? I sold my OEM steering wheel, but it was the leather wrapped version. Maybe QAC changed mine?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    2245

Good picture, thanks for sharing. This was used on early cars I don't know when the cutoff was. Wish I could find one.
    Last edited by r00b; 07-10-2018 at 09:55 PM.

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Mostly 500 and 600 series cars. I can tell you for certain 643 has one and 682 does not. I don’t think more than 200 of those early steering wheels exists. They are also every so slightly smaller in the grip diameter as well. Good luck in your search for one. They are rare indeed.