FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Drove the car all day, then it cooled down and i needed to bleed the clutch.

Drove the car all day, then it cooled down and i needed to bleed the clutch.

Hey Guys

So i was drive the car for 4 hours doing running around. AC on and it worked fine. Then i park it in front of my place for a few hours. It cools down, and i go to start it and park it in the garage and the clutch petal just goes to the floor.

I tried bleeding it by having somone pump it. It didn't work. I had to use my soda cap with a bike pump attachment to pressure the fluid through the line. It worked and i got the car in the garage.

I don't know what to do to fix the problem. I have a 2 year old master and slave cylinder. the Line is braided. stainless.

I don't know if it is air in the line, or if there is a problem with my master cylinder not pulling in new fluid.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Look for leaks, both inside the car, under the pedal and carpet, outside where the pedal goes in, and the rear above the transmission. One of them has most likely failed....
    Soundkillr was here.

I looked for leaks at lunch today, and it was dry.

Do you think a clogged reservoir cap could cause this? I was trying to blow through it and nothing.

My VIN:    16409

Did you check the in the driver's foot well around the peddles. You need to make sure there is no fluid leaking out of the front of the the clutch master.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

It is dry by the petals also. I replaced it 2 years ago because it leaked there.

from the master to the slave cylinder is completely dry.

I keep thinking there is a vacuum or a block in the master cylinder or the reserve tank.

Just to bleed it, i have to pressurize the reservoir tank.

Check the mechanical linkage connecting the master to the pedal.

If it is in order, and you have no pedal feel or response at all, I'd suspect the master has failed.
    Last edited by Ikeaboy1; 11-02-2015 at 06:12 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Make sure you have a tiny bit of freeplay at the pedal. If you have an adjustable linkage it is possible to have it so tight that it doesn't release the checkvalve (function), but the typical symptom of this is a slippy clutch.

Also - replace the plastic washer between the adapter fitting and the slave. Use a copper crush washer. I've seen them leak air in but no fluid out. Sounds impossible and honestly I didn't believe it until I saw it on a couple of cars.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Thanks for the advice, i replaced the plastic washer last night with a new crush washer. I think there is enough play in the petal. It is not tight till you put pressure on it.

Hi all

So yesterday was a hot day in the valley again and today after my car cooled down the clutch was soft to the touch. So i was reading some other posts and it seam that inside the master cylinder there is a rubber check valve that can go bad. It is like it is stuck closed. i can bleed the clutch by using a bike pump and forcing fluid through the system. This works till the system gets very hot. (90' day with ac on) Then the car cools down and the clutch is spongy.
    The clutch has been just awful to bleed and it will not build pressure when pumping

There was also mention about the linkage. It seems ok, i dont see anywhere to adjust it. Is there something i should look for?

now this clutch has about 6000 miles on it and is 5 years old.

I am thinking about getting a rebuild kit and seeing for my self what is going on inside there.

It isn't a check valve per se -- it's a rubber tipped stopper that seals off the reservoir so that fluid is forced out to the slave cylinder rather than back into the reservoir. Tell tale sign of that stopper going bad is fluid shooting out the breather hole in the reservoir cap.

ClutchMasterRebuild.jpg

Bill Robertson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast