FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DMCH new style fuel pump thoughts.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

DMCH new style fuel pump thoughts.

Ok everyone, I'd like to know your thoughts, especially if you have installed the all in one fuel pump from DMCH. I am currently looking at my options of upgrading to the new pump or rebuilding what I currently have. Since this is a part that seems to be prone to failure, I'd like to have it as reliable as possible.
    I took my car out today for 150+ mile cruise after finishing a bunch of work and I had the A/C on as it was about90 or so degrees in North Carolina today. When I would stop at a red light I could get a fuel smell in the drivers compartment. So I removed the spare and removed the access panel to look at the fuel pump. ( seems like a good place to start since this is one area I have not messed with yet since purchasing the the car.) also being that the fuel tank is in the front only seemed logical that that is where I was getting the smell. cooling fans running with A/C on + Fuel leak= smell in the car. Also when I would start driving the smell would go away.
    any way this is what I found .....IMG_4359.jpgIMG_4358.jpg
    Looks as if the fuel pump seal is leaking , and has been for a while. Also I have noticed that the pump is getting louder and louder . It calms down when you fill it with fresh cool fuel. But it has me concerned that the pump is on the way out. .... So.... With all that said, I am contemplating going with DMCH's new all in one style pump. But I'd like to hear some real time reviews on it. any problems? how's it work? it is worth the up grade?

I'm listening! Thanks!
    Last edited by hippieman9; 07-10-2018 at 08:15 PM.

My VIN:    02530

I installed mine a little over a year ago. Easy installation just had to modify a few lines and install the wiring harness. Otherwise I’m very happy and have had no problems at all with it. I would definitely go this route again even though it’s a little more expensive that the original setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin 02530 View Post
    I installed mine a little over a year ago. Easy installation just had to modify a few lines and install the wiring harness. Otherwise I’m very happy and have had no problems at all with it. I would definitely go this route again even though it’s a little more expensive that the original setup.

I was just pricing it out and actually Delorean Go has a kit with an original style pump and its the same price as the new style. Because if I'm in there to replace the pump, I'm gonna replace everything. Ethonal is horrible on plastic and rubber components, Also I forgot to mention the inner boot on my pump, The one that is below the "cap" or top rubber boot, the seal that also seals the tank if you will , is very tacky and gooey. I believe this is why mine is leaking.

My VIN:    02530

My boot was totally rotted out

My VIN:    10270

Like:
    -Quiet
    -Reasonably easy install
    -All-in-one pump/baffle/sender is wayyy less Rube Goldberg than factory ship in a bottle.
    -Doesn't squeal when hot like the OEM pumps seem to do chronically.

Meh:
    -Fuel gauge only reads when pump is running due to gauge adapter circuit only receiving power from fuel pump relay. Solving this would require either running switched +12 to the pump or modifying the harness near the gauge cluster.

Dislike:
    -Had hose failure last weekend. Internal lining softened causing hose to release from supply/return K-jet hose barbs. Hose was marked as rated for modern fuels but went soft after 2 years. Was it ethanol? Prolonged fuel-to-hose contact due to in-line check valve? Techron? Who knows.
    I'm going to make some nylon fuel hoses but I don't need the check valve. DMCH should R&D an improvement from nylon or PTFE with appropriate in-line valve or select a hose that is more compatible with barbed fittings.

-Field servicing of pump itself is reportedly not easy and there have been a few failures reported. Would like to know if Walbro could replace OE unit.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As nice as the newer style unit is from DMCH it has not been without it's own set of problems. Kind of like trading one set of problems for another. If your fuel sending unit is bad too the DMCH unit is tempting. Otherwise it is probably cheaper to just replace the original parts with new. The rubber doesn't last forever especially with Ethanol. Once the pump starts making loud noises it is on it's way out so if you don't replace it right away, at least get one so you have it. Be careful with the screen and baffle parts, the stud in the tank and when you do this you should drain the tank and wipe it out so there is no dirt or goo. Acetone works great but be careful, don't do it in a garage and use a respirator. Refer to Service Bulletin ST-30-12/81. If the cover boot and fuel pump boot are sticky, gooey, or soft, just replace them and the pick-up hose. Sticking a long spring inside the hose is a good idea. Find one in a hardware store that is used for screen doors.
    David Teitelbaum

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

pump

DMC pump is working great once I reversed the
    feed and return lines....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Like:
    -Quiet
    -Reasonably easy install
    -All-in-one pump/baffle/sender is wayyy less Rube Goldberg than factory ship in a bottle.
    -Doesn't squeal when hot like the OEM pumps seem to do chronically.

Meh:
    -Fuel gauge only reads when pump is running due to gauge adapter circuit only receiving power from fuel pump relay. Solving this would require either running switched +12 to the pump or modifying the harness near the gauge cluster.

Dislike:
    -Had hose failure last weekend. Internal lining softened causing hose to release from supply/return K-jet hose barbs. Hose was marked as rated for modern fuels but went soft after 2 years. Was it ethanol? Prolonged fuel-to-hose contact due to in-line check valve? Techron? Who knows.
    I'm going to make some nylon fuel hoses but I don't need the check valve. DMCH should R&D an improvement from nylon or PTFE with appropriate in-line valve or select a hose that is more compatible with barbed fittings.

-Field servicing of pump itself is reportedly not easy and there have been a few failures reported. Would like to know if Walbro could replace OE unit.
    That mirrors my thoughts on them...I would add that "10% of time" there is a clearance problem with the inspection cover no matter how it is oriented.

My VIN:    Early

Go with the DMCH all in one module as it's a great modern alternative.

Just don't use the supplied hoses though...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ...I would add that "10% of time" there is a clearance problem with the inspection cover no matter how it is oriented.
    I am (was) one of the 10%. No matter how I indexed the pump, it still interfered by a good 1/4" with the inspection cover. I also of course made sure there was nothing causing the tank to not sit as low as it should, etc. My work-around was to add a gasket around the inspection cover which added an ever so little amount of clearance between it and the pump which allowed me to install the cover (with quite a lot of brute force I might add). The cover still sits hard up against the pump which is not ideal.

Other than that I can highly recommend the new style DMCH pump. I have run it since 2013 and it has worked flawlessly with no smell in the cabin. We did have some concerns during the engine swap as to whether it had the capacity to keep up during high load conditions - but - no issue whatsoever.
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast