FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: DMCH new style fuel pump thoughts.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    ...I was bummed I couldn't get any clamps on the check valve, but it is not leaking so, Fingers crossed!
    I'm missing something??? Why can't you open them all the way up and install them even now?

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm missing something??? Why can't you open them all the way up and install them even now?
    Well, I could of used worm drive style clamps, But I was using single ear clamps, and they are either too small to fit over the barb on the check valve, or too big and wont crimp tight. So I didn't put anything on them and they seem to be just fine. The barb is very big on the check valve.

My VIN:    01800

Having already replaced the fuel pump in my car 3 times in the last 15 years, I decided to have my mechanic put in the modern replacement from DMCH. Hopefully it will be less prone to failure.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
    Having already replaced the fuel pump in my car 3 times in the last 15 years, I decided to have my mechanic put in the modern replacement from DMCH. Hopefully it will be less prone to failure.
    Where in NC are you located?

My VIN:    01800

I'm in the Charlotte area. I bought my car from a guy in New Bern about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
    I'm in the Charlotte area. I bought my car from a guy in New Bern about 15 years ago.
    Cool, I'm in the Mebane / Burlington area. Not too far from you.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Hi Chris - have you checked your fuel pressure with this pump? I thought most of the GM pumps only produced up to 70 PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    It's interesting people are having issues with the Gates Barricade fuel injection hose. I've been using it for a while now. I used to get this injection hose by Good Year, but O'reillys stopped carrying it. I have been using a GM fuel pump from AC Delco(#MU1777). It looks very similar to the unit that DMCH is using. My fuel sender is still good, so I am not using the built in float fuel sender. You can get the pump at AutoZone for around $180 with LIFETIME warranty. It seems to be holding up nicely. You will still need to buy a check valve, but you can get them for around $15.

Attachment 57270

Attachment 57271

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Hi Chris - have you checked your fuel pressure with this pump? I thought most of the GM pumps only produced up to 70 PSI
    The problem with a quoted value is that 70 PSI is only one dot on a 3D graph: Flow -vs- Pressure -vs- Voltage

Almost any EFI pump will have adequate fuel flow to meet the HP requirements of a stock / modified PRV. Many pumps can supply 100PSI or more but the volume of fuel drops quite a bit. The nature of K-Jetronic & our wiring adds a few confounding variables:
    -Additional restriction at check valve
    -Additional restriction at accumulator
    -Additional flow required to manage hydraulic system control (fuel is both the consumable and the regulatory fluid)
    -Crap connectors / compromised grounds means measured voltage drops at the pump, further reducing capacity
    -Hot fuel

Some of these modules seem to have short lifespans possibly due to operating right at the end of tolerance. It would be nice to have an option with a name attached - AEM, Walboro, Aeromotive, etc. that had some weight / history to the name. They typically provide a full specification sheet of vol/pres/volts.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    Midproduction

Bosch would be the closest, but it's difficult to track their specs on modern pump modules. Usually the answer you'll get is STOCK or OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post

Some of these modules seem to have short lifespans possibly due to operating right at the end of tolerance. It would be nice to have an option with a name attached - AEM, Walboro, Aeromotive, etc. that had some weight / history to the name. They typically provide a full specification sheet of vol/pres/volts.

My VIN:    10270

Right? It's basically like "fitness guaranteed for application", and the guts could change at any time. A DMC suitable fuel module could be one supplier change or cost reduction away from slipping out of specification. Just one more compelling reason for people to ditch K-jet and switch to EFI
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5