FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel Accumulator--Need help

Fuel Accumulator--Need help

Been having hard start issues with my delorean for awhile so I decided to replace the accumulator. I read and watched videos on youtube for instructions. These instructions state only a little fuel will drain out of the accumulator when removing it. But I cannot stop the fuel from coming out of the hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel accumulator. It's not a leak, the gas keeps flowing. I have it clamped for now but its still trickling out. Did I miss a step or what could be going on here? Don't really want 13 gallons of fuel in buckets. Is there a manual fuel shut off valve? Any help would be appreciated.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by bluespecial View Post
    Been having hard start issues with my delorean for awhile so I decided to replace the accumulator. I read and watched videos on youtube for instructions. These instructions state only a little fuel will drain out of the accumulator when removing it. But I cannot stop the fuel from coming out of the hose that connects to the bottom of the fuel accumulator. It's not a leak, the gas keeps flowing. I have it clamped for now but its still trickling out. Did I miss a step or what could be going on here? Don't really want 13 gallons of fuel in buckets. Is there a manual fuel shut off valve? Any help would be appreciated.
    I'm assuming you mean "hot" start issues? If that's the case, then yes, the accumulator could be the issue. Could also be the PPR O-rings or a couple other things.

If everything else is sealed up, such as the boot at the fuel pump, gas cap on correctly, all fuel lines attached, etc, then there shouldn't be much fuel leaking out. I can't remember exactly how much came out when I did mine but it wasn't a few drips nor was it a few gallons. I'm guessing the flow will stop if everything else on the car is buttoned up. Kind of like having your finger on a straw: the second you take your finger off the top, water flows out of it.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Yes "hot start" issues

My VIN:    10270

If the internal diaphragm has failed (causing the hot restart issue too), perhaps you are siphoning fuel from the tank via the accumulator?

If so, you may need to keep the accumulator high and disconnect the feed hose from the accumulator, letting the feed line drain until air enters and breaks the siphon.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

I have the old accumulator removed now, the flow of gas continues. Is the internal diaphragm inside the accumulator or some other part?

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    If the internal diaphragm has failed (causing the hot restart issue too), perhaps you are siphoning fuel from the tank via the accumulator?

If so, you may need to keep the accumulator high and disconnect the feed hose from the accumulator, letting the feed line drain until air enters and breaks the siphon.

My VIN:    03572

Take the fuel take cap off. You may have pressure in the tank.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Take the fuel take cap off. You may have pressure in the tank.
    Yes! Good thought!

To quote an old post:

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Attachment 45534

PS the short ones have been known to crack and leak fumes. That's really all there is to look for.

PPS The rollover valve (Hi Matt) has been known to get stuck and cause the tank to pressurize as well.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Yes, the fuel is siphoning out of the tank. This happened to me as well. I blew compressed air in the line to break the prime and that stopped the flow.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)