FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Question on Dave's Idle ecu

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Question on Dave's Idle ecu

So I got one of Dave's microprocessor ecu's from another member last leek and decided to try it out. First my car does fine, idles fine and runs great, I just like Dave's products and wanted to have a spare as the new ones are almost 400.00. I thought about PM to Dave but others might have had similar issues and could help me.

After I set the idle microswitch to not engage and plugged the ecu up, the engine has a constant surge. Mixture is set right but I still tried to finess it a little. Sometimes the surge will go away but it comes back. My car is a stage II with DMCH cams. I tried to adjust the ecu delay with no sucess. I even tried different idle points. I also tried to set my curb idle down some. My thinking is the cams which have always had a lopey idle are playing tricks on the new ecu. Anyone else had an issue with cams and the upgraded ecu? I thought about opening the idle screws up a bit to compensate for the nature of the cammed idle but I didn't want to venture too far down this rabbit hole.

After fooling around with it for an hour test driving and adjusting I finally decided to put my old ecu back in and all is well. I wouldn't mind having Dave's ecu as a spare or even use it full time and make my old OE ecu a spare but only if I can make it work in my car.
    Last edited by Michael; 07-11-2018 at 08:15 AM.

My VIN:    03572

Did you do the diode bypass when you set your idle switch to not connect?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Did you do the diode bypass when you set your idle switch to not connect?
    No. I didn't know that was necessary unless you removed idle switch altogether.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No. I didn't know that was necessary unless you removed idle switch altogether.
    With the diode in place, my ECU can't turn off the advance. So that is probably what is causing the poor idle.

Just pull the diode and connect the two wires (will plug into each other).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    With the diode in place, my ECU can't turn off the advance. So that is probably what is causing the poor idle.

Just pull the diode and connect the two wires (will plug into each other).
    Awesome. I will try that next time I decide to mess with it. Thanks for the tip!