FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A/C Recharge for R12

My VIN:    03572

Fittings for R12 and R22 are the same for high and low sides. It was the R134 that made different fittings. The reason was to reduce the amount of gas vented when the hoses were disconnected and attached. They also made them different sizes so as not to attach the wrong charge hose.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10452

Club(s):   (DOI)

I understand. So now I am sure. I attach the R12 fitting to the cap on the left side of the system.

Ok, so I didnt end up recharging the system. When I attached the r12 adapter and hooked up the regulator with the can. I gotba regulator reading of 58PSI. Just at the blue meets yellow. I take that as it doesnt need a recharge. I dont understand why my ac is not blowing very cold. The ac belt is turning when the car is on. Any ideas?

My VIN:    03500

To show true pressure the compressor has to be running. And that is how you ad refrigerant it sucks it in. When running if my memory serves me it should be 30 to 35 psi.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 07-15-2018 at 09:05 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_29 View Post
    Ok, so I didnt end up recharging the system. When I attached the r12 adapter and hooked up the regulator with the can. I gotba regulator reading of 58PSI. Just at the blue meets yellow. I take that as it doesnt need a recharge. I dont understand why my ac is not blowing very cold. The ac belt is turning when the car is on. Any ideas?
    Was the engine or AC system off when you connected your hose? I really think you need to heed my original advice, this is not a job for someone with limited knowledge on AC systems.

The car was off when I hooked up the regulator.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Felix_29 View Post
    The car was off when I hooked up the regulator.
    Then you have no clue what the actual low pressure was.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Take the car to an A/C shop. Seriously.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Well it is obvious you guys do know more than I do about this. You guys obviously learned this a/c stuff somehow yourselves. How would you feel if someone said to you "Don't do this job yourself" or "take it an a/c shop. seriously". I'm not sure why you feel i'm not capable of learning what you know... I won't learn anything if I keep taking the car into a shop every time it needs something. I'm trying to be learn more about my car and be cautious at the same time. I think i'm doing the right thing by taking it slow and asking questions. I'm not totally green to this. I only lack experience. I thought that was the point of this forum. For owners to help owners. I do appreciate the help I have received on this thread.

My VIN:    03572

When charging the AC system, normally you connect a set of gauges to high an low pressure sides. Those gauges have a third hose that connects to the charging tank or vacuum compressor. The gauge set has two valves that open that third hose to the low and or high pressure side. So people are concerned if you open the wrong valve during your charging the charging tank could blow up and injure you.

When charging your system, the tank holding the refrigerant has gas drawn into the running AC system. That tank has liquid refrigerant and the system draws gas if the tank is held upright. That change of liquid to gas make the tank get very cold and the tank pressure drops. So with the small "tank" cans you normally put that can in hot water held upright so it continues to move the gas from the tank into the AC system.

So what do you have for a gauge charging hose system?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast