FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cannot separate hard line from accumulator

My VIN:    1890

Cannot separate hard line from accumulator

I have loosened the line nut, but cannot remove the hard line from the accumulator. The ferrule is solidly stuck into the fitting. And the ferrule has 'grabbed' the line such that it cannot be withdrawn (although the line will actually rotate within the fitting/ferrule).

20180710_174824.jpg

I'm considering cutting the hard line, and replacing it with a braided flex line. But I don't see how the flex line is installed. Does it follow the same path as the hard line?
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Can you leave the 90 degree fitting in place and just separate the 90 degree fitting from the accumulator? That’s what I did:

If that helps, there are more pictures and commentary on page 4 of the Engine Restoration album on my profile.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I am in the middle of replacing my accumulator as well. I have found it easiest to remove the flex line first. I had to cut the flex line off to get a ground down deep socket and a swivel ratchet over the barrel nut. Once that was removed, I could get two wrenches on the hard line. If you can't make it work that way, you can try to remove the other end of the swivel fitting.
    --
    Mike

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Yeah, After several tries, what worked for me was a 17mm crow's foot on a socket extended by a piece of copper pipe for leverage. Then I secured the accumulator from rotating with a 17mm long wrench on the integrated nut on the other fitting. Bam, success!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thanks Dana and Mike. I don't have 'normal' crowsfoot sockets, only 'flare' nut crowsfeet, which is what I used (with great effort) to get the hard line nut off to begin with. But Northern Tool is only a 5-minute drive from here and I'll go there first thing tomorrow. Also, I had not thought of cutting off the soft line to get better access.

This mess has been like this for 6 months, and I turned my attention to my other project cars. But your suggestion give me some hope. If I had wanted to be an ob-gyn, I would have gone to med school, but it's a bit late for that.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You just have to work the accumulator back and forth to loosen that ferrule. It can be hard to do especially because of the confined space. Try bending and twisting the accumulator while holding back on the line. Whatever you do DO NOT bend, twist, or damage that hard line!
    David Teitelbaum

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

ob-gyn.....good one

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You just have to work the accumulator back and forth to loosen that ferrule. It can be hard to do especially because of the confined space. Try bending and twisting the accumulator while holding back on the line. Whatever you do DO NOT bend, twist, or damage that hard line!
    +1

I had my Accumulator replaced during a club tech session by guest expert DMC Mechanic Don Steger. Actually I did the work accept removal from the hard line. I was unfamiliar and nervous about doing it for fear of damaging the line. So he did it as I watched. All he did to remove it was support the line end with one hand, then grabbed the opposite end and gave it a quick sharp pull down rotated about the line connection. Once that initial rapid rotation broke it loose, it was just a matter of working it back and forth until it separated. Installation was no issue since you just work the new one back on enough for the nut to catch the threads and it will draw right up tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. I'll bet that your club tech session had a lift available! I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday, alternating between trying to get the fittings loose with my new crowsfoot wrenches, and trying to withdraw the hardline from the fitting. BTW, Northern tool only has the flare-nut version, which I already had. Went to HF for the 'normal' crowsfeet.

I'll go try again in a while to disprove Einstein's definition of insanity.

Robert
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC1890 View Post
    Thanks for the continued suggestions. I'll bet that your club tech session had a lift available! I spent a couple of hours on it yesterday, alternating between trying to get the fittings loose with my new crowsfoot wrenches, and trying to withdraw the hardline from the fitting. BTW, Northern tool only has the flare-nut version, which I already had. Went to HF for the 'normal' crowsfeet.

I'll go try again in a while to disprove Einstein's definition of insanity.

Robert
    Yes, it helps to have a lift. But that said, l’ve done lots of work under the with it up on Maximum extended jack stands on all 4 corners under the frame cross members not the the body jack points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast