FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: town wants almost $1000, i have almost no money, my mom said I should go to town

My VIN:    10907

If you don't have a shop with a lift and you only own basic tools, I'd strongly caution against trying to take the body off the frame...

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Which state is this in?

What is the “town tax “ officially called? Property? Ad Valorem? Etc.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Brooks View Post

Register it in a village without "The Town Tax"

I thought it was bad Oregon raised our registration fees to 105 bucks over the 85 dollars for two years. Does not matter what the car is or value at least.

also I'm so confused as to what I just read.
    Try 6.5% of the greater of sale price/NADA, one time, BUT, every time the vehicle changes hands!!!
    It's freaking highway robbery I tell you!

I'd "talk to" an appraiser then haul it to downtown Town on a trailer...

My VIN:    under 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What is this "town" you speak of(like 25 times)?
    the town, they want the tax in the next few weeks or else they will add a late fee to the tax, the town wants yearly tax at that value of $32,000 they say the car is worth

i have to go to town next week and get the appeal form and find out how to appeal the value, i cannot appeal the tax, i can only appeal the value they think the car is worth

on the front of the car, there are supposed to be 2 black things hooked to the frame for the recall, my car doesnt have them, so i have to take pictures of that

also, tomorrow i am going to take pictures of the frame near the front, there is a bend on one side of the frame but there is no matching bend on the other side of the car, I need you to take a look at the picture tomorrow and tell me if you think the frame has major damage, I will post it tomorrow afternoon, the Town wants pictures of the car in addition to seeing it in person at Town hall, but the Town Council people will not get under the car in the town hall parking lot because the car is too low

the other problem i have is that if the car is started up, for the first 5 minutes, the gas pedal does nothing, i can hold the gas pedal to the floor and there is no effect from it, things are so bad that i have to drive around with a fire extinguisher and a water bottle full of gasoline because my gas gauge in the car doesnt work and then i read there was a recall on the fire extinguisher, so even my fire extinguisher doesnt work

another problem with the gas pedal is that sometimes going down a hill, i take my foot off the gas pedal, and all of a sudden the engine sounds like the gas pedal is fully down and the RPM goes very high, even though my foot is not on the gas pedal

my goal is to get the $1000 tax bill down to $400 or so, and then if I can save some money from the town then i can buy an engine later in the year because the current engine is leaking from everywhere, the leaks are so bad that they cut through cardboard, so i had to go to the store and buy a huge oversized silver cookie sheet to collect all of the fluids of different colors

in december i had to move the car because my mom wanted to park inside for the winter, i drove it around the block and the mailman in my town saw the car and started chasing me home, and when i got home he parked outside my house and came running up to me and told me that the back left wheel is not turning straight, i read that there are bolts in the back of the car that are important for the rear wheels to be straight and if the bolts break the wheel can come off the car and that i have to take the car apart from the top and replace the bolts

i am going to take a picture of the windshield, i can put a large part of my pinky finger into the hole created by the rearview mirror being kicked off because the epoxy of the mirror took layers of glass with it, i read that windshield glass is different then glass in a house, the windshield glass is like tiny layers of saran wrap all glued together, and the layers are coming off and then i read that the windshield cannot be replaced like in other normal cars

i have to take pictures of all the fluids coming out of the car and show the town how much fluid is coming out

but if the car doesnt start in September and i cant get it to town, then i lose the appeal to town on the spot

tomorrow i will show pictures of the frame near the front and rear, the town will need them

My VIN:    10353

Just tell them you're a sovereign citizen.

Honestly I don't know what's going on in this thread.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Just tell them you're a sovereign citizen.

Honestly I don't know what's going on in this thread.
    Same here I want to help but I got lost at "Oreo" and the fact that the word "Town" has been used over 56 times in this thread.
    Alex Brooks

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by May81DeLorean View Post

in december i had to move the car because my mom wanted to park inside for the winter, i drove it around the block and the mailman in my town saw the car and started chasing me home, and when i got home he parked outside my house and came running up to me and told me that the back left wheel is not turning straight, i read that there are bolts in the back of the car that are important for the rear wheels to be straight and if the bolts break the wheel can come off the car and that i have to take the car apart from the top and replace the bolts
    There are several bolts back there but the ones you're probably thinking of are the trailing arm bolts (TABs). http://support.delorean.com/kb/a72/t...arm-bolts.aspx It doesn't look like you should need to take the body off unless the head has actually sheared off? You may have just lost your shims, that can cause symptoms like what you're describing.

If you haven't already, read through that knowledge base and through the FAQ section on here. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the car's systems if you're determined to keep it and can't afford to pay somebody else to work on it.

If you tell us where you live, we can tell you if there's an owner's group near you. Many knowledgeable owners are happy to help people with their cars for pizza and beer and no offense, but it sounds like you're going to need all the help you can get!

(P. S. If your fire extinguisher is a Kidde, google "kidde recall" and you'll find instructions on how to exchange it for a new one for free.)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 07-13-2018 at 01:53 AM.

My VIN:    3028

This has got to be the most bizarre thread. I have no clue what is going on and this “town” sounds like a nightmare.
    Barry

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    This has got to be the most bizarre thread. I have no clue what is going on and this “town” sounds like a nightmare.
    +1. It seems like the OP is afraid of even naming this, "Town."

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by May81DeLorean View Post
    the town, they want the tax in the next few weeks or else they will add a late fee to the tax, the town wants yearly tax at that value of $32,000 they say the car is worth

i have to go to town next week and get the appeal form and find out how to appeal the value, i cannot appeal the tax, i can only appeal the value they think the car is worth

on the front of the car, there are supposed to be 2 black things hooked to the frame for the recall, my car doesnt have them, so i have to take pictures of that

also, tomorrow i am going to take pictures of the frame near the front, there is a bend on one side of the frame but there is no matching bend on the other side of the car, I need you to take a look at the picture tomorrow and tell me if you think the frame has major damage, I will post it tomorrow afternoon, the Town wants pictures of the car in addition to seeing it in person at Town hall, but the Town Council people will not get under the car in the town hall parking lot because the car is too low

the other problem i have is that if the car is started up, for the first 5 minutes, the gas pedal does nothing, i can hold the gas pedal to the floor and there is no effect from it, things are so bad that i have to drive around with a fire extinguisher and a water bottle full of gasoline because my gas gauge in the car doesnt work and then i read there was a recall on the fire extinguisher, so even my fire extinguisher doesnt work

another problem with the gas pedal is that sometimes going down a hill, i take my foot off the gas pedal, and all of a sudden the engine sounds like the gas pedal is fully down and the RPM goes very high, even though my foot is not on the gas pedal

my goal is to get the $1000 tax bill down to $400 or so, and then if I can save some money from the town then i can buy an engine later in the year because the current engine is leaking from everywhere, the leaks are so bad that they cut through cardboard, so i had to go to the store and buy a huge oversized silver cookie sheet to collect all of the fluids of different colors

i am going to take a picture of the windshield, i can put a large part of my pinky finger into the hole created by the rearview mirror being kicked off because the epoxy of the mirror took layers of glass with it, i read that windshield glass is different then glass in a house, the windshield glass is like tiny layers of saran wrap all glued together, and the layers are coming off and then i read that the windshield cannot be replaced like in other normal cars

i have to take pictures of all the fluids coming out of the car and show the town how much fluid is coming out

but if the car doesnt start in September and i cant get it to town, then i lose the appeal to town on the spot

tomorrow i will show pictures of the frame near the front and rear, the town will need them
    Actually I was just wanting the name of this "town" not a recap of your original post.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast