FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: town wants almost $1000, i have almost no money, my mom said I should go to town

My VIN:    4665

No VIN. Nothing specifically answered when questioned. Looks like a game or bot.

My VIN:    under 1500

Okay Michael i took pictures now of the frame, the part that worries me is near the front drivers wheel, i see things bending on the drivers side but the passenger side does not have that bend

i have to make the checklist this weekend because the town wants the report BEFORE august, and today is July 13

if you look to the left of the rubber accordion boot, there is a wrinkle around a small black hole in the frame

IMG_20180713_073601.jpg

IMG_20180713_073540.jpg
    Last edited by May81DeLorean; 07-13-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Michael, and there is also a bit of rust on other places near the front

IMG_20180713_073923.jpg

IMG_20180713_073843.jpg

And there is all kinds of fluid dripping from back of the car onto this large metal cookie sheet thing I have on the ground

IMG_20180713_073334.jpg

IMG_20180713_073357.jpg

IMG_20180713_073636.jpg

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Reminds me of the old joke of the naked man arrested in the town center.

When asked what he was doing, he replied that "I met a couple of girls in a bar a few miles away, had a few drinks and went back to their place. One of the girls suggested that they all get naked and go to town, and I guess I'm the first one here"

OP, I am not sure if you are asking for help or just venting. If it's the latter, vent on.

If it's the former, give us something to work with. There are some smart people on here willing to help.

I'm guessing you are somewhere in the New England area?

You are right, you can't fight the tax (short of becoming an elected representative) but you can, and should, fight the "towns" appraisal. To do that you need some alternative proof of value. If you tell us where you are we can put you in touch with an owners group who may be able to create a "valuation" for you.

Alternatively, how much did you pay for the car? That is also an indication of value, particularly if you can find other cars, on ebay say, in approx the same condition. A $400 tax target implies an estimate appraisal of $12,800 which probably isn'y going to happen in today's market for a running car, even with a list of issues.

Again, what sort of tax are they trying to get you to pay? Do you pay it on your other vehicles?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'd suggest selling the car. One point for selling though, when listing location..... Don't just say town.
    People have asked multiple times for a location in an attempt to help you. At this point you're just venting. And I'll be honest, the town won't care much about oil leaks, and certainly won't care, or believe anything about the steering rack reinforcement recall. If you want to prove a value, do it by showing dents in panels, rips in seats, cracks in dash, broken windows and so on....
    Soundkillr was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post

You are right, you can't fight the tax (short of becoming an elected representative) but you can, and should, fight the "towns" appraisal.
    that is what the lady at the town hall said, she said you cannot argue the tax and you can only argue the appraisal that the town thinks the car is, she said there is too many cars in the town and the town assumes that all cars are Average quality and they think the car is Average quality, Average quality in the book is $32000

they want me to make a Report before August showing that the car is less than Average if i want to pay less tax

The town wants me to get an appraisal or else show photographs or evidence of problems

i am taking pictures of the below problems:

so far I have:
    - rust on frame
    - oil on frame
    - holes in frame
    - bends in frame
    - missing front frame recall brackets
    - hole in windshield where rearview mirror was kicked off when the door got stuck and i had to crawl out the other side
    - melting fuses
    - fuse box melting
    - small windows dont work
    - radio antenna doesn't work
    - mice nest behind driver seat
    - bad smell in car and now the whole garage smells because of it (even had mouse in living room my parents think due to it)

what i need you to do is if you see problems in the pictures that i dont know about then tell me so I can add them to my list and put them in the Report, the Report is due BEFORE August

any money i save in paying tax means more money i can get tools for to take the car apart later this year and fix the Bolts at the back of the car and all of the problems and I need to find out how to weld to fix the holes in the frame, that is why it is so important to get the tax value down

Club(s):   (PNDC)

To man from the Town with no name.

Where do you live ? Simple question. What it the name of this Town?
    600 dollars is not going to fix your car.
    They say you can’t city hall; but I have seen what Rambo did to a town.
    Alex Brooks

My VIN:    10907

Serious question: why are you so determined to keep a car you've said is ruining your life? If that was just a moment of frustration I'm sure all of us can relate, but if you genuinely are having a hard time even affording tools, I don't see DeLorean ownership being a very enjoyable experience for you.

I know we have at least one owner here who fell on hard times after purchasing a project car but I haven't seen him exhibit the same level of misery and aggravation about it that I'm seeing in this thread. If he did, I'd tell him the same thing I'm telling you, which is that values have gone up enough in the last couple years that even a basket case is probably still worth most/all/more than what you paid for it (legit, my buddy's car got smashed to crap in a multi-car wreck and still went for $6000 at auction). Dump it, buy a $3000 Civic and wait til you've got enough money saved to get a car that's in better shape.

(Edit: to respond to your specific issues, frame rust/fluid leaks/melted fuse box/mice aren't great but as others have said, they probably aren't enough to reduce the value of your car by 2/3. A knowledgeable mechanic would probably be able to deal with most of this stuff, and we've recently seen a car with half the frame missing and the wheels falling off listed for around $10k. Your starting issues would need more in-depth troubleshooting of your fuel system/K-Jet setup. The high rpm could be a sticky throttle or a transmission issue. But from the pic you posted in the photo thread, the car looks decent cosmetically.)
    Last edited by DaraSue; 07-13-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    No VIN. Nothing specifically answered when questioned. Looks like a game or bot.
    +1

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast