FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Auto trans not shifting at all

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

c
    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Forget the Governor. No way it can prevent the transmission from moving the car in every gear. It takes oil pressure to move the car so that is something to check for but if it doesn't move it is probably broken inside and will have to come out. Take the filter off and leave it off for now, put the pan on and fill with ATF. Give it a try and if it won't move the tranny is coming out. I would still check for pressure because it will help in narrowing down the problem.
    I agree with David as I've never seen a governor cause a completely inoperatice transmission. Did you check the fluid level only after fully warming it up and checking it with the car idling in park? You also need to cycle the shifter through the drive range a couple times. How many quarts of Dexron did you fill it with after the pan R&R? Were there any unusual noises (whining/squealing etc) emanating from the transmission? If so you may have a broken shift drum. That is by far the most common serious internal failure on this design. Previously operating the car with a bad governor is what usually causes these failures.
    Rob

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Rob, do you know what happens if the one solenoid being in the off position is the only problem?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To get into the one illegal state one coil needs to be energized (the wrong one) and the other de-energized. I suppose that can happen if the wiring harness got burned up. That's why I say pull the #13 10 AMP fuse to eliminate that possibility. With no power the shift computer and the valve body defaults to 3rd gear. It should move, albeit slowly. If it has no motion at all you either blew out all of the friction materiel in one of the clutch packs or you broke the drum on C-1. Not uncommon if the car was driven for a while on a faulty shift computer. Refer to Fig 5 at the bottom of G:04:01 for the logic tree.
    David Teitelbaum

To get into the one illegal state one coil needs to be energized (the wrong one) and the other de-energized. I suppose that can happen if the wiring harness got burned up. That's why I say pull the #13 10 AMP fuse to eliminate that possibility. With no power the shift computer and the valve body defaults to 3rd gear. It should move, albeit slowly. If it has no motion at all you either blew out all of the friction materiel in one of the clutch packs or you broke the drum on C-1. Not uncommon if the car was driven for a while on a faulty shift computer. Refer to Fig 5 at the bottom of G:04:01 for the logic tree.
    Is this a prosecutable offense David being a "one illegal state"? Or was this an ISIS reference? Just kidding...couldn't resist!
    Rob

Is this a prosecutable offense David being a "one illegal state"? Or was this an ISIS reference? Just kidding...couldn't resist!
    Rob

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Dang!...Rob's ignoring me and replying to David in duplicate...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Dang!...Rob's ignoring me and replying to David in duplicate...
    Not really. I don't have your answer at the moment and David is responding to my response with the same info. Chaulk it up to a a duplicitous world my friend...haha!

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Is the gear oil in the final drive also "all original"? I'd change it before trying any further "will it move" diagnoses.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

No need to waste any time with the final drive. Even if it is dry you would still get some movement. If the problem turns out to be in the final drive, adding oil isn't going to fix it. The only thing to do now is to put the pan back on and fill the transmission with ATF and hope it will work.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

There's a difference between changing oil and adding oil, but OK. If there's a problem with the final drive, just ignore it. Sounds like a great idea. LOL

Bye, now.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast