FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0L Megasquirt w/ EDIS: Headers running at different temps?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I took the valve cover off today, and completely failed at reading the engine rotation vs the valve position. It felt like I was reading 60 degrees off for TDC on cylinder 1, but I can’t decide if I’m just reading it wrong or if it has something to do with the BAC EDIS firing order Josh set up due to the position of the crank sensor relative to the missing tooth on the crank pulley gear (unlikely, although I did have to take a timing gun reading from cylinder 3 due to this rotated firing order, which does perfectly match what TunerStudio is reporting). I’m pretty sure the mark on the pulley is right, though, and I just don’t know what I’m doing.

Anyway, I decided to look at something I did understand, the position of the two marked links on the timing chain relative to the mark on the can sprocket. That does appear to be one tooth off.

I guess I’ll take the timing cover off tomorrow and redo the valve timing.

Thanks

— Joe

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Glad you figured something out. Not surprised with the result.
    Does it look like the chain was rubbing on something?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I think that might be Right Stuff that seeped in from the timing cover gasket.

A bit more concerning is that when I pulled the timing cover this morning, a piece of metal fell out. It seems to be part of one of the bottom driver’s side screw holes for the timing cover, in the lower crankcase (so, it’s from the 2.8L engine)

I think I can get away with this by filling the screw hole with Right Stuff before I insert the screw. There are plenty of threads left to firmly hold the bolt (I tested it), and there are so many screws on the timing cover that it seems like it should hold. I’ll have to watch for oil leaks just the same.

Seems I have bad luck with engine castings.

— Joe

Actually, I think those scrapes on the chains are form the chain guides from when the oil pump wasn’t working. They seem to line up pretty well.

I don’t think it’ll be a problem with the now-working oil pump.

— Joe

My VIN:    03572

That looks like a crack on that black casting bottom right of your last photo.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    That looks like a crack on that black casting bottom right of your last photo.
    Sorry, I’m not quite sure where you’re looking. I don’t see a crack in the photo, and I don’t see anything on the engine itself. I do still have to scrape off the gasket; is that what you’re seeing, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

The 2.8L lower crankcase isn’t available anymore, so I’m not really sure what I’ll do if that’s junk. Maybe I’ll ask Josh how to do an LS4 swap.

Thanks

— Joe

Also, that “off by a tooth” photo I took isn’t looking at the right mark on the cam, and I’m fairly sure the position of the chain is irrelevant if you don’t know the position of the keyway on the crank as well. Point being, my sprocket photo proved nothing. I’m sill redoing the timing, now that I have everything apart. It certainly won’t hurt, but I’ll have to wait until next weekend to put it back together, when I have new gaskets.

Correct mark aligned with the timing chain attached. The other mark is in the lower right.

— Joe

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Sorry, I’m not quite sure where you’re looking. I don’t see a crack in the photo, and I don’t see anything on the engine itself. I do still have to scrape off the gasket; is that what you’re seeing, or am I just looking in the wrong place?

The 2.8L lower crankcase isn’t available anymore, so I’m not really sure what I’ll do if that’s junk. Maybe I’ll ask Josh how to do an LS4 swap.

Thanks

— Joe
    It may just be the photo. I was looking at the black (think it's your motor mount) right where the large bolt goes into the engine block.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

To do an LS4 swap, simply open wallet and let money fall out.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

How do your timing chain guides look?
    -----Dan B.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast