FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clutch replace

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    03572

Have not done much with this project lately. I did a quick clean up of the flywheel friction surface by sanding it on a surface block with 120 grit silicon carbide sand paper. Note a surface block is a granite block with a flatness of 0.0001" inch. That showed the machine head when the flywheel was machined was a little tilted since my sanding removed the machine marks on the inside circumference and not on the outside. Still nothing that would cause the failure.

If you have not seen on DAP's web site the claim that:

"Beware of the newer Valeo clutch kit: The pressure plate takes 1450.00 PSI pressure to engage and the original took 1123.00PSI to engage."

https://www.deloreanautoparts.com/de...nsmission.html

That makes me think that maybe I should not increase my step machined onto the flywheel from the current 0.016" to 0.030".

Right now I'm thinking I just may replace my master clutch cylinder since I have not found any evidence of what caused my problem with clutch mechanics. I do need a new boot on the slave since it's torn (about 10 years old). The fork looks in great shape. The engine and transmission main seals look not to be leaking any. I assume they were already changed when the clutch was reworked 20 years ago.

I wanted to set up a test of the pressure plate but after looking at load cells I can't justify spending $500 for a load cell unit which would fit between my 20 ton press and the pressure plate fingers.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 08-03-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/