FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch replace

My VIN:    03572

Clutch replace

Do I remove the cross gate cable from the bracket and leave the bracket in place or remove the bracket? Does the end of that cable have a pin that just pushes out?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

A lot depends on how you are taking the trans out. if you are doing it on jackstands you want a lot more room than if you are doing it on a lift. There is a pin.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Do I remove the cross gate cable from the bracket and leave the bracket in place or remove the bracket? Does the end of that cable have a pin that just pushes out?
    When I’ve pulled the trans, I disconnected the cross-gate cable clevis pin. It has a tiny hairpin clip in it. I remove the pivot bell crank and bracket the clevis is attached to. Then I remove the back cover bolts that hold the cable support bracket. Do not remove the bracket from the cable. This will save you lots of unnecessary adjustment headache later. Tie-wrap the cable and bracket up out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Well I pulled the cross gate cable out of the bracket. That required pulling one bold from the back to let the cable come back from the bracket. The top of the bracket still on the transmission is about 4 or 5 inches from the back of the frame. Don't know if that is enough clearance to back the transmission out.

I broke the 4 bolts loose that hold the transmission to the engine. Think all I need to do now is disconnect the clutch line and make an engine support before attempting the removal.
    Dave M vin 03572

I’ve never attempted trans removal with the upper cable bracket attached to the back cover. If I were you, I would remove it first. It’s one less thing to cause problems if things go wrong.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I’ve never attempted trans removal with the upper cable bracket attached to the back cover. If I were you, I would remove it first. It’s one less thing to cause problems if things go wrong.

Thanks. Is there a bolt on top? Can not see even with a mirror (old eyes can't focus that distance anymore).
    Dave M vin 03572

You will need too support the engine and even push up on it a couple it an inch or two. Otherwise when the counterweight of the transmission is removed the engine will drop at the rear. You will notice that with the trans mounting brackets removed, that the engine and trans assembly is remarkably balanced front to back on the engine mounts.

DENNIS

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Thanks. Is there a bolt on top? Can not see even with a mirror (old eyes can't focus that distance anymore).
    Yes, the bolt head is partially obscured by the bracket gusset. I’ve had the best success using a 1/4” drive ratchet with a 6” or longer extension my extensions are the wobble type so thry work better with the slight off angles. Try too borrow your wife’s bathroom hand mirror or compact mirror to get a better look at things.

DENNIS

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Yes, the bolt head is partially obscured by the bracket gusset. I’ve had the best success using a 1/4” drive ratchet with a 6” or longer extension. The ratchet extensions I use are the wobble type they work better with the slight off angles. Try too borrow your wife’s bathroom hand mirror or compact mirror to get a better look at things.

DENNIS

I got the top bracket off. There were two bolts 13mm socket on extension worked. I just found them by feel. One of the bolts was tight coming all the way out so I guess it was never removed before. I do think I will pull the push rod off the bell crank to get it out of the way.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast