FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch replace

My VIN:    03572

So if you don't get reverse you need to shorten (turn the clevis clock wise looking at the end) the cable.

I turned it two turns but if your just sometimes having problems use a half turn. When you remove the cable from the brackets you loose the correct position and will need to make fine adjustment via the clevis end.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Clutch replace

You shouldn’t need to adjust the clevis if you didn’t disturb it’s original position on the inner member. You adjust the outer jacket via the Jam nuts in the bracket.

Take a look at Dana’s transmission rebuild thread I believe he made a photo that shows the directional adjustments for desired effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-27-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Started rebuilding my old axle. Boy if I knew how messy this job was I would have sent it off for rebuild. It looks like someone tried to do pull ups on the axle when one end was hanging. The cup is shaped like a triangle. Guess I have to hammer it back round on a pipe to form it.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Started rebuilding my old axle. Boy if I knew how messy this job was I would have sent it off for rebuild. It looks like someone tried to do pull ups on the axle when one end was hanging. The cup is shaped like a triangle. Guess I have to hammer it back round on a pipe to form it.
    Lol! Yes, I had to do that exact thing on one of my flanges. I believe I used a combination of an ABS pipe and a bench vice ( with jaws softened with a wood strip) to slowly roll the flange back to normal. Otherwise, the rubber boot would not stay on properly.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Done

Well it turned out my one new axle may have cause my problem. When I pulled the axle I noticed one boot had pulled off the flange end. Well when I was going to put the axle back in I noticed one end had pulled off the axle so the "C" clip had come off. I'm pretty sure that new axle is a little shorter than the OEM axle. So I'm guessing the shorter axle is why the "C" pulled off and hence the boot pulled off.

It just seems strange that the axle would go back in when I stopped and I could get about another mile of driving before I lost power to the wheels again.

Since I found no problem with the clutch, I'm leaning to that short axle causing my problem. If the problem returns than it would have to be something internal to the transmission.

So anyway, if you have a boot pulling off you can check your axle length by measuring the "C" clips center to center with the following table.

Length of axle shaft = 21.11"
    Distance from end of shaft to center-line of the boot clamp location =4.975"
    C-clamp location dia. on shaft = 1.045"
    Small boot clamp center to center = 11.19”
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Well it turned out my one new axle may have cause my problem. When I pulled the axle I noticed one boot had pulled off the flange end. Well when I was going to put the axle back in I noticed one end had pulled off the axle so the "C" clip had come off. I'm pretty sure that new axle is a little shorter than the OEM axle. So I'm guessing the shorter axle is why the "C" pulled off and hence the boot pulled off.

It just seems strange that the axle would go back in when I stopped and I could get about another mile of driving before I lost power to the wheels again.

Since I found no problem with the clutch, I'm leaning to that short axle causing my problem. If the problem returns than it would have to be something internal to the transmission.

So anyway, if you have a boot pulling off you can check your axle length by measuring the "C" clips center to center with the following table.

Length of axle shaft = 21.11"
    Distance from end of shaft to center-line of the boot clamp location =4.975"
    C-clamp location dia. on shaft = 1.045"
    Small boot clamp center to center = 11.19”
    Congrats Dave! In hindsight, an internally failed drive axle would cause the disconnected failure. I'm sure you wouldn't have noticed it by looking at it from the outside.

It is a rare failure though. Where did you get the new axle? The length should be correct to the DeLorean. If not, you might have the failure again, especially if you re-used the C-clip.

I imagine that the rear suspension spread gradually (or the axle was forced outward) while driving until the axle popped out of the hub. Then, as you stopped, the axle popped back into place. Just a theory.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the vendor that you got the new axle from will make it right for you.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Congrats Dave! In hindsight, an internally failed drive axle would cause the disconnected failure. I'm sure you wouldn't have noticed it by looking at it from the outside.

It is a rare failure though. Where did you get the new axle? The length should be correct to the DeLorean. If not, you might have the failure again, especially if you re-used the C-clip.

I imagine that the rear suspension spread gradually (or the axle was forced outward) while driving until the axle popped out of the hub. Then, as you stopped, the axle popped back into place. Just a theory.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the vendor that you got the new axle from will make it right for you.
    Yes vendor is correcting it. I ended up rebuilding my old axle to replace it. I'm assuming someone sent in an axle from another car which happens to be shorter. I think I read some people think the Porsche axle is the same but maybe it's the one that is shorter. I would not think the C clips take much force. They just keep both CV joints running together. Without the C clip the other joint may move to it's end and make the axle shorter.
    Dave M vin 03572

I had an axle/joint fail like that many years ago in an 85 Audi coupe. I was driving around a slow speed curve rather aggressively when suddenly the RPM shot up it felt like the car went into neutral. I rolled to stop an side road intersection , it was at night but I happened to have light with me. I got out of the car with it still in gear, but stationary. When I looked under the car, the right axle was turning inside the outer CV joint. The boot was in good shape with no tears, it was just a freak thing.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I had an axle/joint fail like that many years ago in an 85 Audi coupe. I was driving around a slow speed curve rather aggressively when suddenly the RPM shot up it felt like the car went into neutral. I rolled to stop an side road intersection , it was at night but I happened to have light with me. I got out of the car with it still in gear, but stationary. When I looked under the car, the right axle was turning inside the outer CV joint. The boot was in good shape with no tears, it was just a freak thing.

Wow. I suppose a similar axle under side loading would fail when you see that it's just a relatively small clip holding things together:

I had the drive axle(s) disconnect on my first car (82 VW Rabbit) 30+ years ago, but it was caused by the mechanic not tightening/ loctiting the bolts. It was a similar symptom/ feeling, i.e. engine disconnected from transmission.
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Wow. I suppose a similar axle under side loading would fail when you see that it's just a relatively small clip holding things together:

I had the drive axle(s) disconnect on my first car (82 VW Rabbit) 30+ years ago, but it was caused by the mechanic not tightening/ loctiting the bolts. It was a similar symptom/ feeling, i.e. engine disconnected from transmission.
    I actually had that happen too, on the LH Inner assembly to Trans hub flange. I had pulled into convenience store parked and went inside. When came out hopping in the car I put it in reverse turning the wheels a little while while letting out the clutch. Suddenly I hear a loud clunk and steering wheel jerks out of my hand. I get out and look under the car only too see the LH axle hanging by one bolt from the transmission flange. 4 of 6 bolts were gone. I got very lucky it happened where It did. I can’t imagine what that the axle would have done flailing around under the car at 65 mph.

DENNIS

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast