FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: Clutch replace

Nothing witty here lest it offend

....Hervey parts fail?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    ....Hervey parts fail?
    That one did. He did send me a new one no questions asked.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Dana,

I did a quick search for The GT LMA MSDS and in the process ran across this communication between MG owner and Castrol product support.

This should answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Over at the Lotus forums someone did some research and that was the response. As for false advertising, if you include some minor amount of something synthetic you can claim synthetic. In the world of advertising you can claim a lot of stuff. For instance you can call your product juice if 5% of it is juice. DOT 4 does not mean synthetic. Products all the time claim they are the best. Does anyone believe that?
    Thanks Dennis. I decided to re-ask Castrol / BP today and here was the quick response:

Question:

TO: contactus_at_bp_dot_com

Hi There,

I understand that the below product replaced the former GTLMA brake fluid product (also pictured). However, I am wondering if GTLMA was simply RENAMED the product below, or if it is somehow different or enhanced.

Most importantly, is the new Castrol Brake Fluid DOT 4 pictured below truly Synthetic? If so, what percentage is synthetic (i.e. is it a blend or 100% synthetic) ?

New Product:
    New Brake Fluid.jpg

Old Product:

Old Brake Fluid.jpg

Thanks,
    Dana

Response:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol GTLMA has been renamed to Castrol Brake Fluid DOT 4. The product label and name has changed; however the formula has not been changed.

Castrol Brake Fluid DOT 4 (formerly Castrol GTLMA) has always been a fully synthetic brake fluid.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

Basically, Castrol Brake Fluid DOT 4 (formerly Castrol GTLMA) is fully Synthetic. That's a good thing, as I use it for both the clutch and brake systems in the Delorean. I seems it is worth the extra trouble to seek it out. I can get it at a local motorcycle shop.

Thanks.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Found this on the internet.....so it must be true.

All DOT3 & DOT4 fluid is synthetic...ie it is man made and does not have a petroleum base. DOT3 & 4 can safely be mixed. HOWEVER DOT5 (or 5.1) brake fluid is silicone based and must NEVER be mixed with DOT3 or 4.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10270

5.1 is not silicone based, it’s the sequel to 3 and 4.

Whoever chose this numbering scheme needs to be brought to justice.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

I put in the new slave from John. Bled about a pine through the system. So far no leaks. I cleaned the bottom of the transmission because if you have a slave leak it will drip from the there.

I pulled the mixture unit to remove and install the slave so I want to be sure no leaks before I put that back in.
    Dave M vin 03572

Engine back running so took the D for a 10 mile round trip to the post office. Everything went well but seems maybe the clutch is grabbing a little lower than I remember. I will probably do another bleed of the clutch just in case there is any air in the system. It seems to shift smoother now. Now need to do a few more drives to build up my confidence again.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18