FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Clutch replace

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

It is probably the machine marks causing it to leak. There is also nothing holding the piston into the slave cyl except, when installed, the fork. The last cylinder I had was also from Hervey and it failed in the same way yours did (leaking out of the boot and ultimately all over my clutch!). I needed a replacement and wanted to buy from Rob but his cylinders were not ready at the time. I decided to buy the cheap 'Euro' slave cylinder from DeLoreanGo. It has been trouble free and it's actually even cheaper now than when I bought it in 2017.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    It is probably the machine marks causing it to leak. There is also nothing holding the piston into the slave cyl except, when installed, the fork. The last cylinder I had was also from Hervey and it failed in the same way yours did (leaking out of the boot and ultimately all over my clutch!). I needed a replacement and wanted to buy from Rob but his cylinders were not ready at the time. I decided to buy the cheap 'Euro' slave cylinder from DeLoreanGo. It has been trouble free and it's actually even cheaper now than when I bought it in 2017.
    Your probably correct. Either the machine marks or there was something on the seal. Any leak along the cylinder would cause leaking every time the clutch is used.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

John is sending me a new slave and credit for return postage of the bad one.
    Dave M vin 03572

I got the new sleeved slave from John. It's interesting that our slaves have 2 or three different internals (I remember John sold different rebuild kits for 3). The piston on the new one has the seal installed about a 1/3 of the way from the end. The old one had the seal right on the end of the piston. So the new one would not bottom out the seal if your clutch was using all the slave throw. Also I think this new piston is made of aluminum (non-magnetic) unlike the old one that was steel or iron.

Anyway, I bought some DOT-4 fluid today and did not see this bottle does not say LMA (low moisture absorption). This is CarQuest Wearever Brand. I thought all DOT-4 was LMA. Should I not use it?
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    16409

Castrol has re-branded their DOT 4 break fluid bottles. They no longer use the "LMA" nomenclature.

71nwJz9itIL._SX466_.jpg

This is what I have been using. It's getting hard to find locally. Amazon sells it though.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That's the stuff. It is supposed to be the same as what they used to call LMA. They do call it synthetic but it really isn't. Dot 5 is synthetic (silicone) Dot 4 is mineral based. AKA paint remover (hint, don't spill it on painted surfaces!).
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10270

Is there any evidence to support the need for Castrol GTLMA? It seems to be something that people have been saying for so long that nobody can remember why.

I'll start: I've ran Prestone DOT 4, ATE TYP 400 / Super Blue, Castrol GTLMA, and currently Motul 5.1. I've ran all of these fluids in both the clutch and brake systems with no issues to speak.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That's the stuff. It is supposed to be the same as what they used to call LMA. They do call it synthetic but it really isn't. Dot 5 is synthetic (silicone) Dot 4 is mineral based. AKA paint remover (hint, don't spill it on painted surfaces!).
    David, do you have a source for that? I think that would be blatant false advertising if what you're saying is true. Although it is labeled as Dot 4, it also says that it exceeds Dot 3 and 4 specs and is billed as "Advanced Performance".

I did research on LMA when I was choosing brake fluid and I only found was that this product Replaced LMA but was not the Same as it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Dana,

I did a quick search for The GT LMA MSDS and in the process ran across this communication between MG owner and Castrol product support.

This should answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Over at the Lotus forums someone did some research and that was the response. As for false advertising, if you include some minor amount of something synthetic you can claim synthetic. In the world of advertising you can claim a lot of stuff. For instance you can call your product juice if 5% of it is juice. DOT 4 does not mean synthetic. Products all the time claim they are the best. Does anyone believe that?
    David Teitelbaum

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast