FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch replace

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You have a Centerforce clutch. The blocks are added Flyweights. I have the same unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    You have a Centerforce clutch. The blocks are added Flyweights. I have the same unit.

I will have to see why it failed. I will measure the disk for wear when I get it removed. Taking the day off after working on it for 4 hours this morning.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Not sure how high your jack stands are, but mine are 16” full up. At that height, I had too slide it off the trans jack onto the floor (cardboard under it) then it slid out without any trouble using space in the wheel opening.

+1. Here’s where I removed the box to minimize the height of lifting the car:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Not sure how high your jack stands are, but mine are 16” full up. At that height, I had too slide it off the trans jack onto the floor (cardboard under it) then it slid out without any trouble using space in the wheel opening.

I dropped (literally) my transmission off the jack. I had it centered on the jack to far forward. I will find the CG so when I put it back in it may go in better. It's going to take some maneuvering to get that back on the jack. Also the hold down chain on my jack has one end just fitting over a "fork". That had slipped off so probably better to use a bolt and nut on each end of the chain.

I need to run to the store to get a 6 mm "Allen" head socket for the pressure plate removal. Think I need to use an impact on those bolts. I did get one to break free but don't want to skin any more knuckles.
    Dave M vin 03572

Old clutch plate is 0.290" thick and new one is 0.300" inch thick. No wear on flywheel or old pressure plate so what caused my clutch to fail?
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Old clutch plate is 0.290" thick and new one is 0.300" inch thick. No wear on flywheel or old pressure plate so what caused my clutch to fail?
    Define, fail? Do you mean slipping from a standing start?

Does your flywheel surface have a slightly raised surface for the friction material aka the step?

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Define, fail? Do you mean slipping from a standing start?

Does your flywheel surface have a slightly raised surface for the friction material aka the step?

It would slip after about one hour driving. Never did this before. Was going about 60 MPH and suddenly the RPM jumped. Thought maybe it slipped out of gear but a short time after it did it again. I stopped and it would work again, and again.........
    It would do it even in a lower gear. So I turned around and got maybe five miles with about 5 stops and called a tow truck.

There is a very slight raised surface at the friction location. How much should that step be? I can mice how much that step is with a depth mice.

Another thing I should do is measure the surface of the pressure plate to the fiction surface on it.
    Dave M vin 03572

The new pressure plate mount to friction surface is 0.201". The old pressure plate mount to friction surface is 0.205".

So not much difference there.

Flywheel step is 0.016".
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 07-27-2018 at 02:39 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    10270

Could it have been a bad master? Stuck plunger blocking the passage to the reservoir as the fluid heated up?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Could it have been a bad master? Stuck plunger blocking the passage to the reservoir as the fluid heated up?
    Clutch was working.....No grinding, no problem going through the gears at stops. If the hydraulics failed it would keep the clutch engaged. But I see your thought of it building a pressure that would not release. When it failed I did open the bleed niple on the side of the road and let some fluid out but that did not fix my problem.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast