FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Iron Man DeLorean

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The Iron Man DeLorean

Finally, have found some time to begin work on my latest DeLorean Project. I have titled it " the new delorean" or "the Iron Man Delorean".

Why Iron man? Because we have decided that the new "non stock" interior will have the Iron man color scheme. This is red/maroon with gold accents.
    The new dashboard will be maroon. The car now has.

1. Vented front disc brakes.
    2. Out riggers on the lower A arms
    3. Redesigned front end - more on the this later.
    4. 36" wide radiator with 3 cooling fans - like the Lotus
    5. New AC condensor with pusher fans.
    6. Por 15 painted frame.
    7. SS braided brake lines.
    8. Totally new front storage bonnet. With VERTICAL spare tile. More than 50% more storage area!. You can actually fit a front tire and close the hood.
    You can also fit a rear tire but the hood will be up about 1"
    9. Stock seats are now POWER- see previous posts.
    10. Relocated pedal box to give more room for the gas pedal and big shoes.
    11. Full size power windows

AND lots more in the workS

COME TO THE DCS "after party" and see the Iron Man Delorean.
    Attached Images

This should be interesting.
    Lotus windows? That must have been a pain to make fit.
    How did you get red Delorean seats?

My VIN:    4543

Re

I'm curious about your dashboard with the spray foam.

I was trying something similar with my binnacle. Just curious if you've done anything like that before and any tips on the process?

I was planning to shape the foam and then cover with a textured spray rubber for durability. Then cover with new vinyl.
    Was thinking of a similar process for my dash.

When I saw the title, I was sort of expecting more in terms of modern or futuristic style tech like a Tesla style screen or digital dash, etc.
    Seeing the post, I'm impressed. One of the best mods I believe are the full size windows.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I really like what you did with the trunk. much more space and help the weight distribution a little with the battery placement.

Im wondering how it will affect the airflow through the radiator tho.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    07000

If you haven’t started on the front fascia yet, I’d be more than happy to let you use one of my designs! It’d be neat to see one of those come to life, more or less.

Greg

Update on Iron Man Delorean

I have been busy working on the Iron Man Delorean Infrastructure.

VENTED DISC BRAKES
    The vented disc brakes are installed. I video of this installation shot at Delorean Weekend will be posted in the future. This conversion was done on the 97 Delorean Time Machine in Las Vegas but it is the same one on the Iron Man Delorean. I am looking for someone interested putting vented disc brakes on their car at next years Delorean Weekend. I have a spare kit for widening the calipers. All you need to buy is the vented rotors.

STEERING RACK.
    I installed Rob Grady's rebuilt steering rack. However, I had him make one alteration. There are now thread adjustments on both sides of the rack. This will allow me to adjust the rack to get maximum travel. The hope is to reduce the steering radius. I have driven a D with a different rack and it clearly had a shorter steering radius. However, the new D owner did not know where the rebuilt rack came from.

36" RADIATOR and FANS
    The 36" wide (3 fan) radiator is installed similar to a Lotus. Working on wiring the controller for the fans. VERY DISAPPOINTED at the gauge of the wiring to the stock DeLorean fans. I have seen these wires melt on a number of Deloreans. On a number of other Ds they showed heat damage.

14 GAUGE wire is NOT sufficient for any cooling fans. Let alone RUNNING THESE WIRES all the way to the relay box. VERY BAD Design. It might work but the
    voltage drop is way to much with this size of wire. I am installing both a 10 GA positive and negative wiring all the way back to the really box where I am
    going to mount the fan controller. The controller is adjustable. But I have a concern that the does not have a current ramp for turning on the fans. that would be nice.

What also disappointed me was that the ground for the fans and the other stuff up front rely on frame grounding. IN A PLACE WHERE water and corrosion are always present. BAD DESIGN AGAIN!

AC CONDENSER.
    This is installed with 2 fans. 24" wide similar to stock. Will use a second controller relay for these fans. The radiator fans will have to be tied in.

REWIRING THE WINDOW SWITCHES TO THE DOORS.
    I am installing a new center counsole with a storage tray and USB power supplies and 2 cup holders. I MOVED the window switches to the Doors.
    YES, there are more than enough wires to do this in the stock delorean wiring harness.

Again, I was dissapointed at the gauge of wires supplying the power window motors. These wires take a very long path to the power window motors
    and hence have both a voltage and current drop. STANDARD GM design is at least 12 ga to window motors. Why are Ds only 16 ga?

Anyway I got around this by using the 14/12 ga wires that when to the old HEAVY OUTDATED door lock solenoids. I am using Toby's linear actuators.

The wiring now goes to the doors and then to the FULL SIZE power window motors. I cut out the extra 4 feeting of wiring that went to the center console
    switches. Much cleaner now and the cup holder goes right in.

I ran into one glitch. The 12 Ga grounding wire to the passenger door (formerly to the solenoid) appears to be broken. I am guess at the door flex point.
    Simply got around this problem by making the red with white strip wire the ground.

YELLOW TURNING LIGHTS IN THE MIRRORS.
    There are sufficient extra wires in the doors to do this. I am going to use the yellow heated mirror wire.

NO GROUNDING WIRE TO THE DOORS
    I was very surprised to find that there was no grounding wire connection to the SS door. I have added a wire for this. Just good practice.

WHERE IS WALDO ? THE FRONT WIRING HARNESS
    While working on running the new cooling fan wiring I had to run these to the front of the car. Well, these wires don't run under the car.
    They run THROUGH AN OPEN CHANNEL IN THE FIBERGLASS FRONT END!

You have to remove the window washer bottle cover and the bottle to get to the plugs and wires to run additional wires to the front of the car.
    You then need to fish the new wires through this HIDDEN channel.

I will be posting pictures later.

Bob

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    STEERING RACK.
    I installed Rob Grady's rebuilt steering rack. However, I had him make one alteration. There are now thread adjustments on both sides of the rack. This will allow me to adjust the rack to get maximum travel. The hope is to reduce the steering radius. I have driven a D with a different rack and it clearly had a shorter steering radius. However, the new D owner did not know where the rebuilt rack came from.
    Sounds like a good project. I'm curious about this one; can you elaborate on how the threads on the sides of the rack increase displacement? To me it would seem the steering radius is primarily a function of 2 things: rack length, and the allowable wheel angle. Unless you actually make a longer rack (add more teeth to it), your displacement of the tie rods wont change. Are you planning to machine additional teeth into the rack?

On the wheel angle, a little more angle than stock, and your tire will rub the sway bar. In fact, if your alignment isn't centered in the rack, you can easily rub the sway bar on one side. I know this because when I got my car, it had this exact issue. The alignment was just a bit off center, so on left turns my right tire would rub the sway bar. With this all being said, this certainly seems like a project with a large enough scale to where you could re-design the sway bar to no longer be capable of interference. If that is the plan then you should be home free on this issue.

Nicholas,

Very good questions. I just don't have exact answers yet. It looks like the sway bar is actually the limiting issue with steering wheel angle.
    The wheels might have to be outset a little and a custom sway bar made.

I am working on the electrical wiring upgrades right now. I will be working on the developing the electric power steering and the shorter turning
    radius next year.

Bob

Update on Iron Man Delorean

Here are some pictures

TIPTRONICS SHIFTER
    The tripronics shifter has to be extended to fit the Delorean Frame. This shows the initial cut. It is reangled down about 30°.

UPLIFTED BODY
    The front and rear spacers are installed to raise the fiberglass body 1" off the frame. The center and rear bolt holes have be drilled and fitted.
    Will put in the final bolts once all the wires and pipes underneath are in place.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast